Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
lykos33

HELP!!!

I need some instruction in a technique. Hans ties flies with just tinsel or mylar for the body( http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=63760&pid=488549&st=0entry488549 ) How? I'm at a total loss how to start the tinsel at the hook bend and keep the nice smooth thin body up to the abdomen...I'm sure it's simple and I will slap myself when someone explains it ....

i always start tinsel at the eye of the hook and wrap to the bend and then back to the eye for the smoothest tinsel body

but the way hans may have done it in the 2 sprites at the top of that link, he would tie in the tinsel behind the eye and wrap the tinsel on a bare shank in touching turns back to the bend. (i attach hackle pliers to the tinsel at this pointand use them to twist the tinsel) then he would twist the tinsel into a rope (corded) and wrap this as a rib to finish the body

i always start tinsel at the eye of the hook and wrap to the bend and then back to the eye for the smoothest tinsel body

in the words of Homer..."DOH"... I KNEW in the back of my mind you would be the one to have the info I needed.. :lol: Thanks flytire!

One other key tip for you. When twisting the tinsel into a rope for a rib leave a long tag end in front of the eye and behind the hook bend. Tie in behind the eye and tie back to bend holding down the tinsel then back to eye. Take the tag in front of eye and wrap to bend then back to eye, tie off and trim. Take the tag end behind the bend twist into rope, then rib body, tie off and trim.