Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Voodoo

first poppers

so these are the first that i have done up. I like them but i think they could use a bit more work. they are balsa wood with acrylic paint. I will eb giving them a coat of clear nail polish in the next few days.

My plan is to keep them smaller for trout and the small large mouth bass by my cottage in BC. A large bass out of those ponds in 1lb, i have heard of a few 1.5s but not much larger and i am really hopping that the 15lb rainbows in my lake will kills these at night.

do any of you have colore or tips on these?

Thanks

post-23577-0-59668500-1327939948_thumb.jpg

post-23577-0-47252500-1327939957_thumb.jpg

VooDoo, I like them a lot. Nice proportions and great color schemes and good tailing material tie. If you're going to use nail polish to protect the paint, you will need several or more coats. Also, balsa is soft and will absorb water readily if not sealed. I have been sealing my balsa prior to painting with thin super glue and sanding the raised grain smooth. Someone here, I think River Riffle, uses wood glue as a sealer.

Great VooDoo Poppers!

Kirk

good to know before i make a bunch! thanks for the great tips. Im going to try a few more out tonight then get back to my fly order...grown

Yes they absorb like sponge... I use epoxy bef to seal them. I brush thin layer and then paint. Someone from here advised me to use elmers wood glue which work very awesome for me. What i do is i mix my glue with paint. This way the balsa absorbs the colored glue. Its easier for me this way coz sometimes i over sand the balsa and leave me a unpainted spot.

do you mix a water based paint with the glue? I coated my new ones in crazy glue first but i will still be glossing them over because i like the look and it "might" help for aerodynamics when casting.

do you mix a water based paint with the glue? I coated my new ones in crazy glue first but i will still be glossing them over because i like the look and it "might" help for aerodynamics when casting.

I don't know about improving the aerodynamics. But a clear coat will certainly keep the acrylic paint on the popper body longer.

i think i got the black color scheme of one of your old post...i tryed doing this with foam but i think it was a bit too soft.

I have this paint for a long time and cant read the paper label on the sIde. But its say TESTORS on top... I got this paint on a hobby shop store thats for sure, coz i use to build model cars when i was young. I mixed it with elmers glue and it gets sticky. I use 600 sand paper and then the finest one. Fot the final coating im not sure what to use. Epoxy or nail polish... Maybe ill try both and see...

I gotta try the crazy glue too maybe ill like that better... Less sanding LOL

i think i got the black color scheme of one of your old post...i tryed doing this with foam but i think it was a bit too soft.

The Wapsi and Rainy's Soft Foam Popper Bodies may be painted with acrylic craft paint. I clear coat these with a polyurethane

such as Loon Hard Head or Delta Gloss Exterior/Interior Varnish. Polyurethane retains a bit of flexibility. When dry small cracks

can sometimes be found in the finish. The cracks don't seem to cause the finish to fail for some strange reason. The downside

of Loon Hard Head as a clear coat is that you need to apply several coats. But it drys much faster than 30 minute epoxy.

Angrypinfish: Isn't Testors one of those paints that epoxy is not compatible with??? If so, try the polyurethane.

GESSO, used by artists who paint on canvas to 'flatten the canvas surface', works great as both a sealer AND a primer on balsa bodies. It is available wherever artist's supplies are sold, is inexpensive, is white, and is water-clean up. A bottle will last about four lifetimes of commercial tying!

Stippled popper...lol probably its not which i didnt know i was experimenting on materials that i have available... I will give the polyurethane a try and the super glue as a sealant for balsa thanks...that popper u have as a avatar is a beaut...

This might work too. Thanks perchjerker. Gesso is a primer. Artists sometimes apply it to a surface before painting on it. In fact, gesso looks a lot like paint.

Originally, gesso only came in white. Artists put it on canvas, wood, or other surfaces before creating a painting with oil paint or acrylics.

Gesso makes the surface a little stiffer. It prevents paint from soaking into the support (canvas, paper, wood, etc.), and it gives the surface a little more texture (called "tooth"), so the paint sticks better.

Today, gesso comes in many colors. White is still the most popular, but black and colors are also widely used for art journaling and other art.

so these are the first that i have done up. I like them but i think they could use a bit more work. they are balsa wood with acrylic paint. I will eb giving them a coat of clear nail polish in the next few days.

My plan is to keep them smaller for trout and the small large mouth bass by my cottage in BC. A large bass out of those ponds in 1lb, i have heard of a few 1.5s but not much larger and i am really hopping that the 15lb rainbows in my lake will kills these at night.

do any of you have colore or tips on these?

Thanks

I was making the poppers out of foam sole of the beach slippers. The best type was black-and-red. Here are two examples - with the rubber legs, and with the hackle and synthetic tail. I was catching trout, char, and lenok with them.

post-34261-0-89267700-1328573674_thumb.jpg

post-34261-0-11368400-1328574535_thumb.jpg

looks easier to pull the legs through the body with foam. What part of Russia are you in? Im looking to do a trip in a few years to the East coast with my father in laws work partners over there.