Fly Tying
rockworm

Second Annual Evolution Swap

The first adult insects I see on the local rivers here in southern Quebec are small black stoneflies (#14-16.) With luck I may be able to fish your Pseudostimi Stitch early this spring before the rivers flood with icemelt.

Here is my evolution

Pseudostimi Stitch

Hook: TMC200R #14

Body: Dark green and black embroidery yarn woven

Thorax: Black Ice dub

Under Wing: CDC (dun)

Overwing: Compradun Deer Hair

Hackle: Furnace

C

this is the part of evolution where the monkey is starting to stand more upright. I like the direction all this is taking.

It's so cold here today I am not going out. I like the skin on my face. Wicked chill factor. We got ice and wind from the storm.

Been really cold here in California too, got down to the low 40's last night. Almost time for another blanket! :rolleyes:

I nymph so infrequently that I always think dry or emerger before I go below the surface.

Hopefully they will turn out nice.

C

Here is my evolution

Pseudostimi Stitch

Hook: TMC200R #14

Body: Dark green and black embroidery yarn woven

Thorax: Black Ice dub

Under Wing: CDC (dun)

Overwing: Compradun Deer Hair

Hackle: Furnace

C

this is the part of evolution where the monkey is starting to stand more upright. I like the direction all this is taking.

I guess I'm up to bat, so to speak, well the first thing I will do is change the hook to a Daiichi 1280 which is the hook I've used to sub for the 200R and its look alikes for many years; as it alone will improve your hookup rate for any pattern calling for this style of hook. I will substitute a blend of black rabbit dub and blue/olive Lite-Bright dubbing for the Black Ice Dub. This is basically just a substitution not a change. The under wing I will leave as is. The over wing will remain Deer hair. My vision of what I want to do has just changed again, was going to add a floating tail but thats out at this point and I'm changing the hook again to a Eagle-Claw LO55 #10 as this is a scud style hook that I will reshape into a Klinkhammer style of hook. The actual size will be close to the previous #14 hook. I want the body to hang below the surface of the water. OK

Name: Klink stritch

HOOK: Eagle-Claw LO55 #10

Body: Green and black woven with a single strand of Krystal Flash #17 Green added to the green floss

Thorax: Lite-Bright Blue/olive and Black Rabbit fur dubbing fur blend

Under Wing: CDC (dunn)

Over Wing: Deer hair

Hackle: Coachman Brown (rooster)

I guess I'm up to bat, so to speak, well the first thing I will do is change the hook to a Daiichi 1280 which is the hook I've used to sub for the 200R and its look alikes for many years; as it alone will improve your hookup rate for any pattern calling for this style of hook. I will substitute a blend of black rabbit dub and blue/olive Lite-Bright dubbing for the Black Ice Dub. This is basically just a substitution not a change. The under wing I will leave as is. The over wing will remain Deer hair. My vision of what I want to do has just changed again, was going to add a floating tail but thats out at this point and I'm changing the hook again to a Eagle-Claw LO55 #10 as this is a scud style hook that I will reshape into a Klinkhammer style of hook. The actual size will be close to the previous #14 hook. I want the body to hang below the surface of the water. OK

HOOK: Eagle-Claw LO55 #10

Body: Green and black woven

Thorax: Lite-Bright Blue/olive and Black Rabbit fur dubbing fur blend

Under Wing: CDC (dunn)

Over Wing: Deer hair

Hackle: Coachman Brown (rooster)

BBB- you aren't the first to transgress the hook-size rule but, since the hook is really the only material change in your fly, I think your pattern conforms fully to the spirit of the swap. You need to give your creation a name that derives (however tangentially) from the previous fly.

I can change the hook size to a #12 if you would prefer, it was that aside from the number the actual hooks would actually be closer in size to the #14 200R that preceded me. Probably thinking to much sorry. I did add one material also that will add just a touch of flash to the body.

I can change the hook size to a #12 if you would prefer, it was that aside from the number the actual hooks would actually be closer in size to the #14 200R that preceded me. Probably thinking to much sorry. I did add one material also that will add just a touch of flash to the body.

Your pattern is good by me. Your thinking about actual hook size was excellent. But it leaves the next tyer in a bit of a spot if he doesn't have your hook for comparison. Maybe for next year's Evolution Swap you will have to specify body length in mm!

Your pattern is good by me. Your thinking about actual hook size was excellent. But it leaves the next tyer in a bit of a spot if he doesn't have your hook for comparison. Maybe for next year's Evolution Swap you will have to specify body length in mm!

The Lo55 is a basic down eye scud hook similar to Dai-Riki #135 only a lighter wire.

My change is the removal of the underwing of cdc. Sorry but I don't have any. I hope this is in within rules.

Slink Shrink

Hook: scud #14

Body: black/green woven

Thorax:Coal Mix dubbing - Peacock

Wing: Deer hair

Hackle: rooster brown

I think I'm going to move it along to an adult by changing to a dry fly hook.

Adult stitch

Hook: dry #14

Thorax: Blackhook dubbing - black

Adult stitch

That was fast! Since a change in hook style is freely permitted you may still make one change to your fly if you choose.

Horseshoes- subtraction of a material is certainly permitted. Let's see if you can make a virtue from the necessity.

BBB- You still haven't given us a name for your creation. Make sure it fits somehow between the names Pseudostimi Stitch and Slink Shrink.

Adult stitch

That was fast! Since a change in hook style is freely permitted you may still make one change to your fly if you choose.

OK then I'll make the thorax olive superfine dry fly dubbing.

Adult stitch

OK then I'll make the thorax olive superfine dry fly dubbing.

Excellent!

I believe its Frequent Tyer's kick at the can.