Fly Tying
Missouriflies

Dubbing loop vs wax, pros cons, best usage of each?

For caddis (Iris, Egg Laying, Caribou, etc), I usually use split-thread to dub the head. Got me wondering about pro & cons for a few other techniques so I tried dubbing loop and touch dub; just rough dubbing the head works pretty well, but for smaller flies (#16 on down), I find mine get a bit too bulky. Split thread was the easiest and fastest to work with since the bobbin acts as a self-contained weight and twisting mechanism and no extra tools are needed (familiarity helps, too); only issue is getting the amount of dubbing right - too much and I have to find a way to get that extra dubbing out of the loop to finish the head neatly.

IMG_9549spl.jpg

Dubbing loops make estimating loop size unnecessary since I can tie it off with my thread; however, for smaller flies, it adds a bit of bulk and I have to grab a hook of some sort (home-made bodkin) to twist the loop.

IMG_9564dl.jpg

Touch dub is pretty easy since no twisting is needed but the dubbing's not as secure; actually makes the fly buggier if a fish chews on it so this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

IMG_9563td.jpg

Regards,

Scott

I agree with Scott about split thread instead of a loop for smaller sizes. I would just like to add that you should be aware that not all threads split easily or at all, e.g. Uni Thread. Danville Flymaster and UTC threads will split fairly easily after you spin the bobbin to 'unwrap' the fibers. Point your finger at yourself, behind the thread, and push your fingernail against the thread. You will see it flatten and fibers begin to open so that you can get a bodkin point in there.

In lieu of wax, many times I'll just use water to dampen the dubbing material for better control. I keep a bank teller's sponge on the bench and wet my fingers from there. Much more sanitary than saliva, especially if tying Pink Hendricksons or Tups. The water allows you to control the dubbing, especially more coarse stuff, while applying it to the thread. No bulk, no goo and when dry, the material can be brushed or picked out.

Thanks, Bob H