Fly Tying
nyFLYguy05

Crease Flies

Tied up some silver and gold crease flies with the new Gamo 3/0 spinner bait hook. Really love the hook for crease flies.

post-36479-0-40941200-1329074393_thumb.jpg

post-36479-0-22201600-1329074400_thumb.jpg

post-36479-0-78458700-1329074407_thumb.jpg

post-36479-0-75666800-1329074414_thumb.jpg

post-36479-0-08402800-1329074421_thumb.jpg

post-36479-0-93905900-1329074432_thumb.jpg

Excellent!!!

I want to tie some up for smallies. A few questions you may be able to help me with?

Does that hook come smaller as I said Im tying for smallies

I have tons of foam and have been experimenting but plain foam looks kinda dull and lifeless. Yours look great. Is that a covering over the foam or a coating?

Joe, those are awesome looking! I like to use spinnerbait hooks as well for some of my tying, and of course I make spinnerbaits with them too! :lol:

Bloop, most brands of spinnerbait hooks are made in 2/0 & up. It's hard to find smaller. Depending on how small you're interested in, and whether you want a premium quality hook, try some of the straight shank worm hooks. Most are a lighter wire than spinnerbait hooks, but would be great for Crease flies used for Smallmouths. Gamakatsu has a bronze hook that is available in 1/0, that will work well for Crease flies. They're rather expensive compared to some other hooks used for tyng, but are excellent for tying bigger flies. If you wanted to try some right away, check Tacklewarehouse.com, they stock them. $2.99 for a 6 pack.

I tie on worm hooks too often, so look around a lot. When I can catch them on sale, or cheap on Ebay, I'll stock up some. I like some of Mustads & Owner's worm hooks as well. The Mustad Ultra Point Denny Brauer Flippin' hook is one I like a lot for tying bass flies, when I can find them in 1/0 or 2/0.

Joe,

Are you using the glitter foam on the gold one? Just bought some of the pearl glitter foam, I figure with some Pantone marker highlights it should be a winner. Have you used the CCG on it? I use the brush-on and i was curious about glitter transfer.

Cheers,

Sean

Excellent!!!

I want to tie some up for smallies. A few questions you may be able to help me with?

Does that hook come smaller as I said Im tying for smallies

I have tons of foam and have been experimenting but plain foam looks kinda dull and lifeless. Yours look great. Is that a covering over the foam or a coating?

One cheap way is go to the "lure making" section of a local cabelas or bass pro and buy lure tape. It will last for MANY foam flies and comes in all sorts of patterns. My favorite is the pearl mylar color. It is slightly translucent so the foam color shows through a bit.

Thanks to everyone for the great comments!

The hooks are spinner bait gamo's size 3/0.

Go to www.saltwaterflies.com (Chris Windram is the owner). He is fantastic when it comes to customer service and excellent when it comes to shipping out my package. The site has every major item to very hard to find items. He has tons of crease fly hooks. Check em all out. I make my crease fly bodies with the Joe Blados cutters. There are two sets of cutters, one for salt and one for fresh water. I use regular white or colored sticky back 2mm foam. I either color the foam in or use holographic foil and stick onto the sticky back foam, dull side down - wait a few seconds and pull off...thats how I get that holographic look. You can also find hologrpahic foil in craft stores I am told. I get my foam, hologrpahic foil and hooks from either [email protected] (tell him Joe Sawicki said to email you for a crease fly kit) or I go to www.saltwaterflies.com website and order from there. Another trick I do is create a screaming mouth, as you can see from the pics above. This creates a great slurping and popping noise. These work great when flats and/or sight fishing because with regular poppers they may scare off the fish, since these are made out of foam they dont hit the water with a big loud noise! Crease flies are my fav top water lure for saltwater bass blues and albies. You can make really big ones to really tiny ones. I learned how to make mine from the creator himself, Joe Blados. You can even insert rattles inside the mouth to create even more noise! If anyone has any question, any questions at all, PLEASE pm me, i would gladly help out anyone! In my opinion (trust me i have messed up many when i first started) the correct hook size (wide gap important) to the correct crease body size is very important....this make the crease fly swim or pop correct, even if your fly lays on its side when standing still, that is ok. As long as your fly is balanced undernearth it should stand up and "pop" when stripped. Once you get better at making crease flies the fly should stand up straight when standing still. Please pm me if anyone needs anymore help. Thank you all for the nice comments!

Nice flies. I saw some crease flies today at the fly fishing show in raleigh and I have finally decided to try to make some.

I think you will def love the results, be sure to lightly coat the mouth and body with epoxy, makes the fly 10x more durable

TideWater - You ever tie with the EWG weighted hook? I am going to tie some "plus size baitfish" flies with them.

Check out this link

http://www.thisisfly.com/issue32_3.html?startPage=000&

The kid tieing is named T. Harvey, ties some incredible looking flies. He is only 21 or 22 I believe. But hey i am only 24 years old lol.

Getting back to the EWG weighted and un - weighted hooks, i just bought a 25 pack of 4/0s, seem like a deadly hook for the plus size baitfish. I have to admit this pattern created by Harvey looks nasty in the water and without the bulk but imitating a large profile should be very effective. Let me know what you think.

post-36479-0-22514400-1329103072_thumb.jpg

post-36479-0-81136500-1329103078_thumb.jpg

No, not the weighted ones. I've been tying on regular offset worm hooks for many years and have added weight to them by wrapping the shank with lead wire. I've added barbell's to them also a few times. Most of the weighted worm hooks I've seen are too heavily weighted for casting with a fly rod IMO. Have not tied that type of fly either, but it does look interesting. My favorite wide gap worm hook for tying is a VMC 6319. It has a longer front section than most, so makes tying on it a bit easier. Is available in sizes from 1/0 to 5/0 with a black nickel finish.

I've tied on other EWG hooks, Mustad, Owner & Gamakatsu but prefer the VMC's because they're just better suited for tying. I've made poppers & crease flies with regular offset worm hooks too. They're all worth experimenting with. :)