Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
nyFLYguy05

Gardiners Bay 3 Some Fly

I found this pattern in a pattern book and decided to create my own variation. This fly gives the fisherman the best of 3 worlds, it can imitate a shrimp, crab or small lobster. The marabou and sili-legs give great action in the water. Gardiners bay is located on the eastern tip of Longisland, during spring, the bass feed on shrimp, crab and small lobster. Going to tweak this pattern a little more.

post-36479-0-01566900-1329157548_thumb.jpg

post-36479-0-00767700-1329157559_thumb.jpg

Simple fly to tie. Has a lot of nice movement in the water which I really like.

Materials

-Estaz

-Shrimp eyes

-Marabou

-Krystal flash

-Sili legs

-Dumbell eyes or eyeballz

(Try tying some with other materials as well, I would imagine redfish would like this??)

That is a really cool looking fly, and yes redfish would destroy that thing. I will have to try these near the oyster bars down here, looks like it would slay them.

I threw some beadchain on mine for weight. Like agn said, reds will destroy them. I havent thrown one yet, but i HIGHLY doubt theyd pass that up if you put it in front of them. Especially in the fall when theyre keyed in on shrimp and some mullet. I tied several up. Green maribou with olive or brown chenile (estaz). Also made one with a body of brown dubbing with a palmered grizzly hackle for legs.

Whats going on PeterJay - Regarding the eyes (BTW thanks for the comments! Always appreciated, I am in the works of tweaking this pattern as well, wont know the outcome until I try all the slightly different ones in two months or so)

For the eys i have been buying the Enrico Puglisi (not sure how to spell his name) eyes. I like using the medium and large eyes in black and amber. I also add my own colorings to them with nail polish. For example to the EP black eyes, I will add dabs of yellow to make the eyes stand out more, ect.

Awesome fellas! Glad everyone can use them! Redfish and Stripedbass are very similiar fish regarding the flies. Glad I could give a pattern that can catch some reds too! One of these days I am booking a trip down to Lousiana to catch some monster reds!!!! :ph34r: