Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bullhead

Pawn shop find

Hello,

I recently spotted and purchased a Redington Red.fly2 4 piece 8wt. rod with a Pflueger Trion model 1990 reel, line and backing. This setup is brand new and obviously not seen the water. Paid $149.00 for it. I believe this is a discontinued fast action rod that will be new to me since I prefer moderate action. Will overlining to 9Wt provide me with a similar action? What does the fast action afford compared to moderate action rods. Also for the price did I do well?

Bullhead

Not a "bad" price but not a great price either. That's about what most retail stores use to sell the complete outfit (redfly rod/reel) for before they discontinued that package. Although the Pflueger Trion 1990 is a much better reel than the redfly2 that Redington offered with their package so that is a good upgrade there.

To slow it down a tad then yes loading it with a 9wt line will help to give it a bit more moderate action because it will load the rod more with the same amount of line out from the tip.

Faster action rods are good for punching a big fly through the wind and casting greater distances because they generate more line speed. If your use to a more moderate action and like that feel better then overlining it with a 9wt line would be a good starting point to see how it feel to you.

Steve

I have to disagree a little with my esteemed colleague as the Trion reels are now over $100. So, Nice find!!

On the rod, Steve is dead, on the faster action will give you more line speed and will allow you to mend with more authority. I just went to a very soft action with my 1wt and there is definitely a difference in the line speed. The down side is tippet protection but with a 8wt I doubt you will be fishing much 6X. I have a very fast and powerful 8wt that can easily throw the whole line and some backing. I love it for turning large fish and throwing big/heavy flies.

Paul

I have a Redington RS4 & a Predator both 8wt.I use 8wt bass & pike lines cast great.Also,the RS4 has landed a 19# & 15# Carp and a 48" Northern.I use a Trion 1978 reel for stopping power.Go to a tackle shop & ask to.try a reel with 8wt & 9wt line before you buy.Most shops have a casting area you can use.That way you won't make a costly mistake.You will be plesantly suprised by the casting of fast action rods.Just use a slight hesitation on the backcast.