Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Streamers

Hi everyone, I just received some Waspi Lightening Strike hooks in various streamer sizes #12 - #4. Has anyone got any experience of these hooks?

They have all got a downturned eye and I am more used to using a straight eyed hook for my lure/saltwater streamers as I find (probably just in my head) they provide a better straight line pull from the leader than flies tied on a down or up turn eye. Invite any thoughts on hookup improvements straight eyes offer?

I just read a book on fly tying I got from the library, "Mastering the Art of Fly Tying", can't remember who it was by, but it touched on the subject of hookset angle being determined by eye angle coupled with hook point angle. You're on the right track anyway. The only reason I use straight eye hooks is to keep my head neater on some flies. Don't ask me how this helps, that is probably something in my head!

I do prefer straight eyes and sometime I have to deal with it. I cant say for sure there is a change in action becaise I tye a loop with my streamers to get better action.

Kevin

I also prefer the straight eye hooks, primarily because I use a lot of larger, fly & non-fly hooks for tying bass & saltwater flies, and most I use are made with a straight eye. I rarely tie anything smaller than a size 8 now. Like Kevin, I usually connect with a loop, so the fly has as much freedom of movement as possible. When I have used down eye hooks, again, it's usually with a loop, so really can't say that it makes much difference in hooking angle.

Hi, I got a wapsi kit last year and tied some flies on lightning strike hooks. The hooks seemed like very light wire hooks. I caught a 12 inch cutthroat on a size 8 streamer hook that had a wooly bugger tied on it. It totally bent the hook just fighting a little cutthroat. Not the bend, but the shank of the hook. It might have had something to do with the rocky shore I was casting over. Regardless I was not impressed with the quality of these "lightning strike hooks".

Yeah I've noticed the wire gauge could be thicker for hooks designed for lures. I'll soon see when they get in amongst the kelp.