Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
nyFLYguy05

Small Clousers

Regarding the topic of small flies (size 6 4 2 1) I decided to make some small clousers using a new material (new for me).

Tied up some size 2 clousers with bucktail and polar bear. Really like how polar bear looks when wet.

post-36479-0-49981400-1333232196_thumb.jpg

post-36479-0-64071600-1333232202_thumb.jpg

Buddy of mine got some real polar bear in, he sells it and has tons of colors. Polar Bear swims great and seems to give a more attractive color in the water. Really cool stuff.

Target for this fly is blues bass and weakfish, this fly can imitate tiny spearing or baby bunker in all the creeks by me.

Real pretty clousers, such an awesome fly pattern and i really like the colours you used here. Oh quick question, with the krystal flash, did you tie that on top of the wing? Maybe i should try this...

Whats up Jam - I know many people tie their clousers with the flash first then the hair - I have alwaysed like my KF on top, to me it imitates scale like patterns, - thats the way I like to tie them and have caught well for me - give it a try!

Man i am just hanging around, went for a fish yesterday, spooked a bunch of steelhead, got snowed on and skunked <_<

I will hit them again next week i rekon.

Ahh just wanted to add that the polar bear is going to be quite nice to fish with, nice and stiff, and certainly won't foul at all! Once again top work.

Polar bear has several benefits as a tying material... When it gets wet it turns partially translucent (very similar to real small forage which is nearly transparent in the living bait).... it's also much more durable that bucktail or any other natural hair. Where I am down in south Florida a baby barracuda or spanish mackeral of any size will just shred most flies on first contact. That polar bear will survive more than one hit (and that's while colored bucktail used to highlight the fly does get a haircut...). Years and years ago the only way to get any polar bear to tie with was to buy a moth eaten old bear rug (or buy pieces from someone that had made the purchase). The hair was usually a creme color - not white, but it still worked quite well.

Regarding the topic of small flies (size 6 4 2 1) I decided to make some small clousers using a new material (new for me).

Tied up some size 2 clousers with bucktail and polar bear. Really like how polar bear looks when wet.

Dang fishy lookin' flies there! I have to get me some PB, really looks nice on the salmon flies...

Murray

IF ANYONE NEEDS POLAR BEAR PLEASE PM ME - I HAVE A BODY WHOLE SELLS IT AND HAS GREAT PRICES

Really gives nice accent to flies, has great action and Capt Bob Lemay nailed it right on the head! Thanks Bob for your input. I have been reading your email updates regarding your fishing trips, looks like your doing well as usual!

:lol: a whole body!

Pretty easy to come by up here yay! And in a few pretty colours, problem is that what i have seen varies in quality (length of hair) and its a bit $

Interesting, what sort of prices are we talking for say a nice patch?

nyFLYguy05, empty your message box ...please :unsure: If you have access to PB at a good price and a lot of it, I may know quite a few guys interested ;)

Murray