Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fishing on the fly

My First Popper Attempt

That's a good first attempt. Now comes the fun part. Take it to the water and see if it preforms like you want it to. You may find you need to change the hook size or do some other tweeking. But be warned , working with poppers can be addicting.

Fred

That's a good first attempt. Now comes the fun part. Take it to the water and see if it preforms like you want it to. You may find you need to change the hook size or do some other tweeking. But be warned , working with poppers can be addicting.

Fred

I believe we have a leader in the clubhouse for Understatement of the Year 2012. :lol:

It's a sickness. As soon as you see the 1st blow-up on that thing, there will be no turning back.

I have a feeling I will be making a few more this weekend. I have some more painted up I just need to get some heavy mono for a weed guard before I tie anymore. I couldnt help my self and tied that one up without the weed guard.

Got to watch out for putting too much stuff on the rear end. It gets wet, adds weight to the popper and changes the angle of the front. I minimize the rear end for that reason: they seem to pop better with less of a rear end.

Got to watch out for putting too much stuff on the rear end. It gets wet, adds weight to the popper and changes the angle of the front. I minimize the rear end for that reason: they seem to pop better with less of a rear end.

That is a good tip. Thanks I will keep that in mind.

You're on your way for sure. Very nice first popper!

As for the weedguard, you can always add one after it is tied. Poke two holes in to the bottom of the head, one on each side the the shank near the front of the head. Cut your weedguard to length so when stuck up in the holes, a loop hangs down and bends up just short of the hook bend. Roughen the ends and glue in to holes with your favorite glue, I use a thick CA.

Kirk

Man, that's a terrible verbal description; here is a pic to show what I was trying to explain.

DSC_1171-1.jpg