Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
willbb

Hi from Canberra

Hi everyone,

My name's Will and I'm a fly fishing addict. I'm from Canberra and I learnt to fly fish last year, while on exchange to France. I was in a host family who lived near a friend of theirs who fly fishes, about a year ago, he took me into his back yard and taught me fly casting. After about half an hour learning to cast, he thought that it was time to try a bit of proper fishing. During my time in France, I must have gone fly fishing at least fifty times. At the end of the trout season in France, a fly fishing only trout lake opened, so I then had to learn different techniques, it was frustrating, but every chance that we got, we would head to the lake and I would practice. Often when it was freezing cold, no one would bother going fishing, but we would always be there, laughing about how only two addicts like us would be crazy enough to be out fishing on those days. At the end of november, my family came to France and we went for a two month holiday in Europe, before going back to Australia with them. When I left, Philippe gave me the fly rod, fly reel and fly line that I had been using all year. Now that I'm back in Canberra, I'm no longer able to tie flies with someone who has been fly fishing for years and I now have to start getting my own equipment to use here. I ordered quite a lot of stuff from taimen.com and am now waiting for that. Two days ago, I went fly fishing for the first time in Australia after months off the water, I only caught two small rainbows, but I really enjoyed finally being out fishing again.

Welcome to the best addiction of your life. You'll be forever skint, dreaming of fish and summer pools with unbelievably large fish supping down flies and defending your choice to go fishing above all other things.

You'll have to let us see some Aussie inspired flies that you find. Are you central Canberra or near the Ocean? Some great salt species for you to target on fly

Welcome willbb, You'll find all the info and help you could ever need on this forum. We even have a few folks from "down under" and I'm sure you'll find something in the enormous database to match up with your fish species

Murray

Welcome to the forum, WillBB. You'll find all of the help you need right here. There are many nice people on this forum.

The Best,

Bruce

Thanks guys,

I don't live very close to the ocean, but we have a coast house, so I get to fish the salt quite often, but for the moment I only have a 5wt fly rod and am looking for a 2 or 3wt, so I'll have to stick to bait and lures for the saltwater species for now. As for aussie flies, I learnt almost everything I know from a french fly fisherman and the rest from the internet, so I think it will be a while before I am able to start adapting my flies to australian waters, it would also help if it took less than a month for fly fishing/tying stuff to arrive from overseas, because for some reason everything to do with fishing seems to be almost twice what it is in Europe or the states. I just got back from a three day camping trip at a local trout stream, but the recent rain seems to have every fish shut down. On the way out of the National Park, I stopped at a bridge over a fishy looking river and ended up getting one small trout.

Thanks guys,

I don't live very close to the ocean, but we have a coast house, so I get to fish the salt quite often, but for the moment I only have a 5wt fly rod and am looking for a 2 or 3wt, so I'll have to stick to bait and lures for the saltwater species for now. As for aussie flies, I learnt almost everything I know from a french fly fisherman and the rest from the internet, so I think it will be a while before I am able to start adapting my flies to australian waters, it would also help if it took less than a month for fly fishing/tying stuff to arrive from overseas, because for some reason everything to do with fishing seems to be almost twice what it is in Europe or the states. I just got back from a three day camping trip at a local trout stream, but the recent rain seems to have every fish shut down. On the way out of the National Park, I stopped at a bridge over a fishy looking river and ended up getting one small trout.

There will be loads of uses for furs you can source in house. Well done for stopping on the way home to fish. Its dedication that catches you the most fish.