Fly Tying
C LeBo

Crawdad Eyes?

Hello,

I know that this is just basically a new thread on the streamer eye topic, but how important are eyes to a crawdad pattern? I've tied patterns with eyes, like mono filament and glue on eyes to the carapace,but I've never really noticed a difference in effectiveness. I tied this craw here without eyes and it looks pretty good and nasty, but seeing bass fishing wont heat up for a few more weeks where I am, I wanted to know if it is a worthwhile pattern or how I can improve it. I'd appreciate any and all opinions.

Thank you

Carson LeBoeuf

post-43009-0-34299900-1335309107_thumb.jpg

post-43009-0-48810100-1335309127_thumb.jpg

post-43009-0-30046700-1335309142_thumb.jpg

Carson, I put eyes on most of the baitfish patterns I tie, and have done so on crayfish, shrimp & crab patterns, but don't feel it's really that important. On some baitfish the eyes are very prominent, but not on crays, most shrimp or crabs. Frankly, I don't think crays, shrimp or crabs necessarily have to even look like the real thing anyway, just resemble them in basic size, shape, color & movement, with movement probably the most important feature. Reason I say this, hair jigs used by bass anglers more or less imitate crayfish, and they're very productive lures, yet they don't really look like anything in particular. The silicone skirted jigs bass anglers use, the same thing applies. Many of the most productive flies used for carp are colored similar to crays, yet most are nondescript in shape, only generally looking like a cray. I tie a Clouser minnow crayfish version & have caught a lot of bass on it. It doesn't have claws, and only basically looks like a cray. I've used various Bonefish or "Flats" type flies as cray imitations too, and with good success. They're primarily intended to imitate shrimp, or some mimic crabs, yet they work too as crayfish imitations. None are very realistic looking IMO, yet they work.

It's certainly possible in some situations that a crayfish as you've tied will out produce what I tie, but that can be the case with any fly type. It's possible to work the other way just as well.

IMO, if you want to put eyes on them, do so, if not that should be fine as well. Again, IMO, the materials you're using & the movement that it will have will likely make it a productive fly, whether it has eyes or not! :)

I would have to agree with you sir, especially on the motion part, cause my biggest bass have come from craws with marabou or rabbit strip claws

I tie a crawdad similar to yours, except I use zonker for pinchers. I put eyes on mine, but it's more for me than for the fish. I'm courious as to how important the tail is. Mine always seems to catch a lot of junk. It too is probably more for the fishermen than for the fish. If I tie any this year, they won't have the tail piece.

I've never thought about the tail, even though it's caused me quite a few problems. Guess I'll have to tie a few without tails AND eyes to see just how important they are.