Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Obi

Make CDC dry flies swim longer?

Hi everybody!

I went fishing last Saturday, and had some success with a nice Emerger-Pattern, called "Once and Away". It basically consists of peacock herl and CDC. For those who are not familiar with the pattern - it looks like this:

Once and Away

The trout loved it, but I found out pretty soon why the pattern got it's name. You can only serve it two to three times befor the CDC part is all soaked and the fly starts to drown. Attempts to throw it dry with a few false casts did not help too much either, because the CDC-Part of the fly is pretty bulky. Once soaked the fly stays wet for quite a long time.

Folks, I 'd appreciate some suggestions: How could I make CDC-patterns float for a longer period of time?

Cheers,

Obi

Hi Obi,

What I do when using I'm using CDC flies is have a piece of paper towel with me and every time I catch a fish, I press the fly into it and the paper towel removes the water and fish slime, you could also buy an amadou patch to do the same thing. Sometimes all you need to do is blow the water out of it.

Good luck,

Will

Frog's Fanny or fumed silica is about all I have used on cdc. Once before you start place the fly in a container (I use a 35mm film can,) with the silica, and shake. Then when it gets slimed, clean it off (in the water,) dry it as well as you can and treat again. Best solution is the tie up plenty of flies.

Frog's Fanny or fumed silica is about all I have used on cdc. Once before you start place the fly in a container (I use a 35mm film can,) with the silica, and shake. Then when it gets slimed, clean it off (in the water,) dry it as well as you can and treat again. Best solution is the tie up plenty of flies.

Can't say much more than that. You can buy some oil to replace the natural in the feather. I tend to use a tiny amount of GINK on the very top of the CDC and it floats pretty well.

Also does the pattern need varnish over the body? just more weight even if its miniscule. The CDC won't float forever.

Loon top ride do be what your looking for. It doesn't prevent the fly from sinking but instead drys the cdc after catching a fish. It is great to use after soaking any fly by catching a fish but is particularly excellent with cdc. just toss the fly in and shake after catching a fish and give it a few seconds to do its thing which you are looking for your next riser. DONE.

Some treat their flies with CDC oil right at the bench. I have a fake Amadou patch that works really well to prepare the fly for fumed silica. There is a floatant called Dry Magic you can use on CDC too. It's excellent, but expensive,

Folks,

thank you very much for your repiels :rolleyes:

Anybody tried SHIMAZAKI Dry Shake? It seams to be available in "white" and "dun" color....... ?

Thanks,

Obi