Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mk2828

CDC help

My favorite pattern is an olive CDC comparadun #20. This year, I started tying my own flies without success. Maybe I'm missing a step. At times, I realize that if we don't have a certain material, we improvise. I have been using a slightly heavier thread than recommended. I have also been using standard dubbing rather than micro dubbing and it all looks similar to what I would buy in a store. THe fly sits up for a few casts, but after that, it's all over for that fly. Any suggestions on how to improve this? Should I be using floatant on the cdc feather?

It would probably be better to use some of the suggested materials on this fly. Some dubbings are made to float on dry flies and the one you are using may not be. The thread may be adding too much bulk to the fly making it sink. Also you may be using a lower quality CDC feather which would affect the flotation. You can put some types of floatants on CDC, but I just use a paper towel to pull the moisture out when it gets waterlogged.

It would probably be better to use some of the suggested materials on this fly. Some dubbings are made to float on dry flies and the one you are using may not be. The thread may be adding too much bulk to the fly making it sink. Also you may be using a lower quality CDC feather which would affect the flotation. You can put some types of floatants on CDC, but I just use a paper towel to pull the moisture out when it gets waterlogged.

Ok. Give it a try. The dubbing came in a starter kit as did some of the other items. It was also suggested to not put any floatant on the fly at all.

The Superfine dubbing I use is meant to float so that helps the pattern. If you wanted you can use CDC fibre for your dubbing. It will aid floating. As said, make sure you dry the fly between casts and wash and dry after fish cause the slime ruins them.

If I'm fishing a dry 'blind' I will add a tiny touch of Gink to the very tips of the CDC to help it stay up but normally I just cast to fish i can see and the fly is out of the water more than in it.

My favorite pattern is an olive CDC comparadun #20. This year, I started tying my own flies without success. Maybe I'm missing a step. At times, I realize that if we don't have a certain material, we improvise. I have been using a slightly heavier thread than recommended. I have also been using standard dubbing rather than micro dubbing and it all looks similar to what I would buy in a store. THe fly sits up for a few casts, but after that, it's all over for that fly. Any suggestions on how to improve this? Should I be using floatant on the cdc feather?

1. Make sure the hook is a 1XF (1 extra fine dry fly hook). Lighter hooks are easier to float.

2. Use stiff fibers for the tail like microfibbets and tie a fan tail.

http://www.garyborger.com/2012/01/14/parachute-adams-fan-tail/

3. Use a floatant designed for CDC that will not clump it. I recommend Tiemco's Dry Magic. Just a little bit will do.

4. After the fly gets slimed, use an absorbent material to squeeze the fly to rid it of excess water. I use a piece of artificial chamois. A paper towel will do until you can buy something proper. Then treat it with a combination product of desiccant crystals and floatant powder like Loon Top Ride or Shimazaki Dry Shake.