Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FisherOfMen

Best Mouse?

Hey all - I've been trying to target those giant browns, and a local guide suggested skating a mouse. I've tied a few "mice", just a ton of spun deer hair on streamer hooks. What is your favorite mouse pattern?

I personally like The Dirty Rat on a size 4 hook. It's a killer at dusk!:)

Thank You and Tight Lines,

Carson LeBoeuf

The only mouse pattern I've ever tied or fished is Dave Whitlock's mouserat. I posted a picture in the May flies from the vise thread. It's pretty much all spun deer hair with some foam/leather ears and tail black bead eyes and maybe some moose hair whiskers. My cats think it's pretty realistic. I've also heard big browns like to slup up a mouse, that'd be a blast, big flies for big fish.

The bomber-type flies that the Atlantic salmon guys use will work equally well. (according to legend, they were originally tied to target big browns)

Paul, that's one heckuva mouse. He's a dead ringer for the ones that ate the grip off my 12wt.

I would have to vote for Chris Helms' Deer Hair Mouse. A demanding tye, but well-worth it. My version:

Tail and ears: brown or grey Ultrasuede

Belly: white deer hair

Back: brown or grey deer hair

Whiskers: moose mane

Eyes: tiny styrofoam beads; coated first with epoxy then dipped in black Cellire

Thanks Pete its a great pattern and with the rubber legs for whiskers in the slower deep water it gives off motion like kicking legs I've pulled virtually thousands of fish in on them from big browns to LMB off lilly pads and log jams

Thanks guys!

I've been having a lot of luck with mice patterns. I'll be fishing some dries, and not getting any big ones so I skitter a mouse from bank to bank, and get very aggressive rises from the larger trout, giving up their positions. I've never hooked larger than a 12 inch brown on a mouse, but they're effective at giving up the position of the bug guys so I don't have to narrow down their positions. Helps me learn "advanced" water reading, too!

*I've heard a TON about the Moorish Mouse, apparently most AK guides swear by that pattern and some even use it exclusively. After reading a 4-page article about it, I'm convinced its a good tie!