Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Markbob

Des Moines, IA

Hey everyone, I will be traveling to Des Moines, IA for work the week of the 4th of July. I will be flying in on the 2nd and leaving either Friday or Saturday as it stands now. I am hoping to get into some trout fishing while I am up there but there seems to be surprisingly limited information on the internet about fishing in IA at all.

I will be working at the Firestone/Bridgestone plant there in Des Moines and I will have time to fish Monday afternoon/evening, and hopefully evenings through out the week.

Can anyone help me out on trout fishing in the Des Moines area? Stream access and such would be great. I tried to contact the 2nd Ave Fly shop but I have not gotten a reply from them in over a week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MarkBob -

I have never fished Iowa at all. MN yes, Iowa, nada... so I have no info for you... a blogger I follow though just returned from a trip fishing out there, maybe (off chance) he has some info: http://musicarskikafe.blogspot.com/2012/06/driftless-diary.html.

Note: I dont know him, Just really enjoy the blog, and fact he salt water fishes the same region I do in the salt.

I live on the other end of the state so I don't get over in that area but there is a IA forum/blog that maybe to help you out I'm sure. IowaFlyFisher.com

Mike

What a coincidence, im working at the firestone plant right now as an electrician. No trout down here in des moines. Their all up in the northern part of the state. most the lakes around des moines have tge same species of fish in them. Bass, bluegill, crappie, channel catfish, and carp. I usually fish lake aquahbi in indianola, About a half an hour south of des moines. its got alot of nice bass in it. Greys lake right outside downtown des moines also has some nice fish in it.