Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
freeflyfree

4wt floating tropical fly line

Hello there,

Could you guys help me choose a stiff 4wt floating fly line for tropical weather? what do you guys suggest?

Thanks,

Not sure but suspect that you'll have a tough time finding "tropical" lines in that light weight size. Tropical lines are meant for the salt usually and I'll be surprised if they come in sizes smaller than a six weight....

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

Thanks, Capitán! I contacted some manufacturers and got replies from RIO and SA pointing to their 5wt bonefish lines as their lightest tropical line.

Cortland says their Trout Boss should withstand the heat. There is also this Monic All-weather clear floating that could be an option.

I was fishing in the canals doing long casts and the line I was using was tangling a lot for being too limp.

It's my first time using a 4wt rod in freshwater in south Florida. So I had no clue.

Thanks!

Thanks, Capitán! I contacted some manufacturers and got replies from RIO and SA pointing to their 5wt bonefish lines as their lightest tropical line.

Cortland says their Trout Boss should withstand the heat. There is also this Monic All-weather clear floating that could be an option.

I was fishing in the canals doing long casts and the line I was using was tangling a lot for being too limp.

It's my first time using a 4wt rod in freshwater in south Florida. So I had no clue.

Thanks!

If a #4 weight flyline & fly rod are designed to handle a range of flies from # 14 to 26, what flies are you throwing & for what fish? The #5 tropical flylines should cast fine on a lighter rod, but if they're too heavy you could always cut off a foot or more to get a #4 weight.