Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JarrodRuggles

Craw fish patterns

I'd like to try a little bit of winter bass fishing. What would be the best pattern for this and how do I tye it. (craw fish or not)

Thanks.

Jarrod

The hackle that I use is light brown and I use copper wire for the ribbing. Pull the piece of felt over the body. Pretty easy to tie and has caught a ton of fish!

Hey guys,

I find that the smallies really go after an orange crayfish pattern here in Ohio. Water here is discolored most of the time. cool.gif

Weighted to be fished on--the--bottom and fished slowly with short jerks should do the trick. A Teeny or Rio sinking line worls best to keep the fly down there.

Go get em'.

tidbit

Jarrod, that's exactly what I did this fall! I was usijng a 4wt for trout and wanted to do some bass fishing so I built a really nice 9' 8wt from a hook & hackle kit. I did however upgrade the guides to alconite ceramics. Now I can throw some pretty good size flies!

I've been tying a modified version of the FS Crayfish pattern listed on this site. Rather than use the expensive and odd looking barbels to weight the eye end, i wrap the front half of the shank with lead and the front quarter with a second layer to really weight the eye end (which becomes the rear of the crayfish). A nice plump dubing or chenile hides everything.

cheers,

Michael