Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Peterjay

Colton Reels?

A $50 reel wouldn't last 30 seconds under those circumstances. I've seen 12-pound tuna turn cheapo reels into smoking wreckage without working up a sweat.

I have used 2 medalist anti reverse reels for years on tuna including 50 lb. bluefin. in my book these are cheaper reels but will out last a lot of high end reels.the big water medalist 300 yds. of 30 lb. dacron (forget what in the new gel spun lines)

attachicon.gif11-22-09 089.jpg

Wow! Where the heck did you find those babies? (1499?) They might have been relatively cheap, but they were real beasts as I recall - built to withstand a nuclear attack. Not something you'd wanna drop on your foot. I used to use the smaller medalists when I started out in salt water - it was always a race to get home and get 'em cleaned and lubed before they rusted out. They did OK on bass and blues in the inlets, but I never had one last the entire season. There wasn't much else around back then for anybody who didn't have a trust fund. Thanks for posting Bob.

Whoa........I didn't even know they made a 1499. I would like to have one just to have it. I love my old Medalist and yes they will take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

I'd love to have one too Ditz. I'll bet there are still a few kicking around Ebay, etc. I've got a bunch of the smaller Medalists that I've picked up at yard sales, etc. - that's all I've used in fresh water for many years. All of mine are 20 years old at the very least. The Atlantic salmon guys in Maine often used Medalists too. They've caught a lot of fish, that's for sure.

same here, i own several now. and my pay=pal account has dwindled down some recently..here is all 3 modells 577, 578, 1499CJ 577 is for 8wt. lines 578 is for 9/10 wt line and 1499CJ is for 12 wt line

post-624-0-37226100-1358885154_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-51523900-1358885209_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-09868200-1358885214_thumb.jpg

I just added it to my watch list and if it goes at a decent price I will own it..I did not know it existed. Thanks for the heads up.

Hey PJ.....The price went by me. It was a very nice condition but could not justify that money for a "just to have" reel". I would rather put a few more dollars with it and get another Colton. hehehe.....Thanks for alerting me though.