Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
D Bulla

Howdy from Missouri

Hello everyone.

Just found the site yesterday while trying to get information on some equipment I lucked across at an estate sale.

I haven't tied a fly in 30 years and was never what anyone would call real good at it back when I did but I caught fish on them. I got into tying when I was about 13 or 14 years old and tied only up till I was about 17 and went into the military so pretty limited on my experience. One thing I did learn when I was a kid tying, there wasn't a lot of need to exactly match a pattern. I hardly ever had all the materials needed to make any given fly I wanted to tie but I could usually come up with something similar. At least if that something similar was from a critter I could kill in Pennsylvania. Used lots of squirrel, deer, pheasant and grouse parts. Heck, I even remember using the fur out of the curry comb that came from brushing our German Shepard dog. Pretty nice reddish tan dubbing as I recall.

I just got a box of supplies from an estate sale like you wouldn't believe. I'm going to give my oldest son a vice for Christmas and hopefully we can both kinda learn/relearn it together.

Anyway, that's about it for now. I'll be lurking around and seeing what I can pick up. I'm going to have some questions I'm sure on some of the things that were in the box of goodies I bought but I'll post them in the other topic I already started. Probably will have to post a couple pic's and hopefully someone here can help me figure out what some of the loose pieces and parts are. The thread is in the Fly Tying Bench section and it's called "The mother of all estate sale finds?!"

Dave

Welcome Dave, you are at the right place to get your tying restarted. Some of the best tiers you will find anywhere and most all of them are willing to help. Make sure you post your work on here and join some swaps to make your tying even better.

Murray