Fly Tying
famill00

Smallmouth/Largemouth Monthly Swap Club

This thread will act as the SMB/LMB swap club general directory. You will find here a category of fly that will be swapped each month. Please feel free to make suggestions on what else you would like to see come from this swap. I want us to all make these decisions together. This swap is capped at 6 swappers because of the time and materials that these larger flies will require over the year.

January - Pig Boat Flies (google it)

February - Anything Clouser

March - Poppers

April - Crayfish

May - Articulated Streamer

June - Any "Classic" Fly

July - Hopper

August - Wiggle Minnows (google it)

September - Hellgramite

October - Mouse

November - Tube Fly

December - Tie your favorite SMB/LMB Fly

***************These are all subject to change, except January because it is already upon us! Please let me know your suggestions!*****************

Swappers:

1) Me - Swapmaster
2) Zachxbass
3) Eugward
4) Eastern fly
5) Joman
6) rich mc

Guest rich mc

hey forest ill join in to the club. i just finished a swap on anothersite and i tied pigboats. they are must have flies rich mc

I can't join the swap at this time but I would suggest 3 types.

Muddler

Hair bugs

nymphs

Surface flies

This should be a fun swap and wish I could join. HAVE FUN

Guest rich mc

i fish the pigboats more like a gear angler fishes a spinnerbait. you want to bounce it off most structure . i dont fish it like a jig and pig, i save that for harry fodder flies and craws . rich mc

Is it my imagination that the " August - Wiggle Minnows (google it)" lookis like the old Flat Fish lure?

Kevin

Where I got this idea while I was on vacation visiting my inlaws down in TN this past week. They fish this fly for smallies down there alot. The guy at the fly shop ( 3 rivers fly shop) said they fish them on a sink tip line. Apparently when a Clouser Minnow isn't working, this is the fly that catches the fish. This is a really simple tie, but where the fun begins is how you color them. I look forward to fishing them this year.

Also, Kevin, if you would like to make any more additions for the remaining months, please feel free to throw something out there. I know you are a warmwater guru!

-Forrest

when is the due date for the january swap.? rich mc

All flies are due to me by the last day of the month. I suggest everyone mail them out at least 5 days prior to that so they can have time to make it to me. I will photograph the flies each month and post them to the thread for that month. I will in turn get them back in the mail to you no later than the third day of the following month.

-Forrest

What's your thinking for this one- June - Any "Classic" Fly. I am trying to think of ideas.

Kevin

Old school! I will probably tie the classic streamer the "Red and White". Some of the old buck tail streamers would be good too. For this month, you could tie any fly that has stood the test of time. Any "oldie but goodie". It really is quite a "loose" category.... I figure part of the fun of this swap club will be trying new things and maybe rediscovering some of the old timer flies/styles.

-Forrest

@rich mc..... You are only a few miles away from me. My wife and I just built a new house in Oswego IL. I think you are probably less than a half hour from me. You could feel free to drop off your flies/hit the Fox when it gets a little warmer. I live one mile from the river :)

Some place in the swap I want to send in a tube. Some maynot think of them for bass but the very first tube I did I cought Sm and Lm on.

Kevin

IDEA: what about a truly big bass pattern: THE MOUSE. It is also a fly that als takes trout and pike. We could see some different fly patterns.

Kevin

i'm liking all the ategories so far. I was thinking maybe a baitfish pattern for one month, either just general baitfish, or EP/Craftfur type baitfish. Also, maybe a month for deer hair, maybe not only "bass bugs" but just "you have to incorporate deer hair". just some ideas. I like using large dry flies for bass too. basically just large trout style flies. I've done well on size 8-6 elk hair caddis, and large red humpy variation.