Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Lance Kekel

Danvilles Spider web

I've been looking at a number of european based patterns like a Klinkhammer Special and noticed that many call for Danville's Spiderweb thread along with your standard thread when tying the fly. Is anyone familiar with this thread and it's traits?? Would I be getting the same qualities if I were tying with say Benechii 12/0 or Gudebrod 10/0?

Thanks!

Lance

I have used the Danvilles spider web I prefer Griffins Sheer it is 14/0 and seems to me to be a little tougher thread . I tie lots of midge patterns both dries and nymphs and although the spider web is good thread Griffins is just a tad better

The Gudebrod is heavier and I can't say about the Benechii as I have never used it.

Hope I haven't confused the subject more.

Tube blink.gif

I have been searching everywhere for this damned Spiderweb, but have not found one.

I am using the last spool of it, and it is going out fast. sad.gif

Has anyone any advices where could I buy new stock? biggrin.gif

Help me pleeeasee. baby.gif

Hey Gregor,

I looked at J. Stockard didn't see it (thought I'd say this since they sponsor this fine site) but

www.linesend.com

has it. They also have a 17/0 trico thread (spiderweb is 16/0 (that's what it says)). I think I have some of the trico thread but haven't used it yet.

Spider web, I don't think I have tied a complete fly with it, but it comes in handy for some things like securing the hackle on parachute patterns etc.. I remember it seems rather brittle as well and it doesn't stretch at all. Not sure what the composition is either but it also ties loosely (to me anyway, for example, when you first tie it onto the hook, if you put any slack in the bobbin, all the wraps will come loose). I will experiment with it some more and post a reply later and would like to hear some more input on it. I do prefer the GG 14/0 ultra sheer stuff and tie just about everything with it, from salt to size 30 adams. It doesn't do deer hair well as it tends to cut it but any small thread will do that.

If anything Gregor, I can send you some if you come up empty handed as well. I have a few spools sitting around and can get it pretty easily I think.

Jeff

JRG I have sent you a private message.

I need spiderweb for some special patterns, mostly midges and baetis nymphs.