Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
My4Kiwis

Any Other Ty'ers In Afghanistan?

I'm retired AF, now working as a contractor teaching the Afghans to fly. I brought my tying gear along with me to help pass the down time. We now have a small group of Ty'ers here at Shindand AB and we get together once a week to tie and teach some beginners...we have grown and now need to get some extra vices. We are currently passing around the two vices we have at the moment.

Even though I'm living in a tent at the moment I've still found a way to build a small tying desk in my little space. It isn't anything special but it works. I'll try to post some pictures later.

If there are any other tiers at Shindand come by Camp Estelle...we would love to have more folks join us.

Cheers,

4Kiwis

Thanks SCwens. Shoebop, There are streams and rivers in my part of the country but doubt there are any trout in them, too hot in the summer...Up in the NE part of the country there are probably fish...but they will never see a line from me. Like you said too extreme. A couple of my students showed me pictures of a lake that looked like it should have a resort on it...well, it actually did before the Russians invaded. They said there are lots of fish in that particular lake...hmmm.

A picture of my cozy little tying area...

post-37501-0-46456200-1357629841_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

4Kiwis

You are a world away from me and have a nicer bench and light! Glad to see you on board! Great bunch of people on here from all over the place!

If you ask nicely, you might get a couple of beginners vises from the guys on here, or you could contact FFF and see if they would be generous and send you a couple of vises. The other options are to contact a club in the area you're from and see if they have any they would like to send you, but it is a crapshoot. What kinds of vises are you looking for, and are you able to get all the materials that you need. I will check and see if I can help you with the vises, but no guarantees. Let me know a little more about the group and what you might need and I can talk to my club and see if they want to help you out.

Blane

Thanks MyBadHabit,

I really appreciate the offer/advice. I think we are doing pretty good now. One of the guys has been bitten hard and just ordered a vice, another's brother is sending one out. I was talking to Charlie Craven the other day via Skype, he said he offered to keep his eyes open as well. As for materials...well after my last order I think I have a enough to stock a small fly shop LOL. Thanks again.

Cheers,

4Kiwis

Stay safe over there! We appreciate the work you are doing. I've got an uncle over there at Shindad! He is also a contractor and working a helicopter maintenance shop.

Hi Beltdrive,

I might know him...is working on the MD-530's for the training program? I'm flying the 208 Caravans and 182 Turbos. Aside from being away from family I love the job and our Afghan students are truly good folks making tremendous sacrafices for their country.

Cheers,

4Kiwis

Hi. My sister is a fly fishing guide in Cooper Landing Alaska. I will be coming to Shindand after the 15th of February and I wanted to learn some tying. Would that be possible to hook up with you?

joshua...

should not be a problem at all. Do you know where you will be working, East Side/West Side? I am on the West side living in Camp Estelle. We usually meet on Juma (Friday) after lunch for a couple of hours.

One of our IP's here is from Alaska and could teach you some patterns for the rivers there.

Cheers,

4Kiwis

Thanks SCwens. Shoebop, There are streams and rivers in my part of the country but doubt there are any trout in them, too hot in the summer...Up in the NE part of the country there are probably fish...but they will never see a line from me. Like you said too extreme. A couple of my students showed me pictures of a lake that looked like it should have a resort on it...well, it actually did before the Russians invaded. They said there are lots of fish in that particular lake...hmmm.

Cheers,

4Kiwis

I know for sure that in the Northern Afghanistan there are wild brown trout - in the streams belonging to the Amu-Daria drainage. Have a look at the map and you will find the location. I used to fish together with a person from France who had been over there and did catch the "Afghani trout".

In the same drainage (Amu-Daria flows into the Aral Sea) used to be also a true sea-run brown trout up to 12 kg (so called "Aral salmon") which was feeding in this salt lake and spawning in the river. This form is extinct by now.

Great information...thanks for sharing. I may have to do some more research...

BTW...I enjoyed looking at your blog, that Siberian Taiman is incredible!

Cheers,

4Kiwis