Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mikechell

Boston Area

No luck got to me. My flight is cancelled and I'll be stuck in the hotel for at least another day.

SO, I finally got back home. I didn't get to do any normal fishing ... just that one Tarpon trip for the TSMT tournament.

I am now back in Massachusetts for the next 5 weeks. Difference is, this time, I have waders. Not that I'll get the chance to use them, it's supposed to be raining next weekend.

We shall see.

Using some waders and a couple of layers of under-armor and sweats, I waded a local stream here in Mass.

Used some of these ... which I've posted before ...

nymphattempts.JPG

... didn't catch anything.

I did, however, discover that I am able to withstand the cold water in my waders and layers ... and I am hoping I'll be able to fish more areas next weekend. There were still 4 and 5 foot snow plies blocking parking at the places I wanted to fish, so I hit a section of the Neponset Creek with a deep hole. It's suppose to be above freezing this whole coming week, so I hope to get to the Charles River next Saturday.

Hey I wish I had read this earlier. I'm in the South Boston area and took a buzz to the swift river yesterday. Tons of trout still swimming around however it was my first time being on a river (fish from my pond and the ocean typically) I didn;t catch anything due to the fact (as I was told my a native of that area) that my nymphs were too large. I picked up some new ones at the Bears Den and hope to go back next week. If you're interested in going give me a shout. It's not too bad of a drive

-Josh A.

I've got Saturday and Sunday ... and I am going fishing both days, one place or another. I hadn't planned on driving 2 plus hours, since I've heard the same thing you said. It's a very tough place to catch fish due to the intense pressure. The trout will actually swim at your feet while you are wading, picking off what you kick up ... but they are very conditioned to just about every fly ever tied, and will not take something that is not floating perfectly natural.

Maybe I'll change my mind between now and Friday, I'll give you a shout.

Yeah no prob. I don't know enough about fly fishing yet but yeah they do seem picky. However the guy next to me appears to have caught a few each of the last few days...although hes a regular.

I am not a trout angler. None of those in Florida. The few times I've been trout fishing, I wasn't using conventional fly fishing gear. I am only going on what I've been told, and I don't think I have the trout water acumen to tackle Swift River. I am pretty sure I don't have correct enough flies. Good luck if you head out that way.

I have been told that there are a dozen or so ponds on the Cape that produce good numbers and sizes of trout and small mouth bass. I am thinking of wading the Charles Saturday, and if I don't get any hits, driving out to the Cape on Sunday.

Leaving the hotel to hit some local streams ... everybody who reads this post ... wish me luck.

I am going to need it, I am sure!

OBVIOUSLY ... any of you who looked in on this post yesterday, didn't wish me enough luck. I didn't catch a thing.

I did see these extremely tiny bugs on the water, which was 34 to 38 degrees F. everywhere I checked.

No fish feeding on them, though I did spook on fish up in shallow water, never got sight of it so I don't know what kind it was.

I think these would be tied on a #40 hook, and I don't have vise jaws that will go that small.

Just pictures of the lakes I fished. Both of these are out on Cape Cod.

Peters Pond ... in Sandwich.

Lovells Pond ... near Mashpee.

No fish ... water temps at 38 F on both places.

Peters ... the water was gin clear and there were a few rises out beyond reach. They are getting ready to make runs into the shallows, but not quite there yet.

Lovells ... water slightly stained ... I could see the bottom to about 3 feet, nothing beyond that. No rises, but the Moor Hens kind of prove there's small fry/minnows in there.

Hey Mike, Sorry I didn't see this until now...and sorry you're a fish out of water. Let me vote again for the Swift River. Even if you don't catch anything it is an amazing place. Worth it just to stand there and get skunked - I know, I've done that many times. Ditto on the Kittery Trading Post. Much better than Beans, and if you shoot, they have a wonderful used gun section. Finally, I'd also recommend the Boston Aquarium - it is heated, and while they may have a problem with you fishing, you'll see a lot of fish. Also, try calling the state fish and wildlife dept - up here in Maine the regional biologists are really good at suggesting locations. Good luck.

Okay ... I give up. Northern bank fishing just isn't my "cup-o-tea". Maybe I do better in Florida because I can get out in my boat and cover more water. Maybe I do better because I know what the fish will hit, usually. But when I don't see any minnows, bugs or other life along the shore and on the bottom, then I have to believe the fish aren't near me either.

I was going to try different places today and tomorrow ... but after hitting 5 very different places today, all with the same result ... I am not even going to try tomorrow.

Massachusetts can keep it's fish ... I'm going back home next weekend.