Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
leftyangler

Deer Antler Tool Caddies

First of all I think your price is way to steep. They look neat, but they take up way to much room. I'm also bothered that everytime you have posted to this site you keep trying to sell something. If you want to sell something put it on the trading floor. Oh thats right you can't do that you don't have enough posts to put items on the trading floor.

carlp

^^^+1. It's one thing to post a photo of a gadget or gizmo you've tooled up. That happens regularly here, and people respond well to that. However, it's very different (and tacky) when you open up shop with a link to your commercial site and literally solicit for buyers and orders. In the time it took the OP to draft his signature, he could have contacted the site admins about soliciting here. Even the site sponsors don't pedal their goods on the tying forums.

Can't agree more. All this guy does is try to sell his stuff. Its beyond anoying now, ban this troll.

To be honest, I didn't expect this post would be rated "HOT" so I'd better respond.........

It is true that I am trying to sell these and make money. I'm a busy guide during summer months but during winter, I gotta do whatever to get by or not to spend my summer earnings too much. This project is one of those.

I first and foremost value and appreciate that there are more positive responses than ones that try to label me spam or pathetic. I'm selling these under a registered business and even pay tax for sales (along with my custom tie flies) so these are not spam or pathetic. I understand when someone starts new projects and wants to make money, there are always others who criticize. I get used to that.

Responding to comments about prices, I know deer antlers are not expensive and even free for those who hunt and walk mountains. Prices reflect the amount of time and effort that I put with my soul. I design position of each hole with practicality in mind. For example, I measured the distance between each bobbin-hole so they don't butt each other when they are equipped with spools. Also other tools such as whip-finisher, hackle-pliers, etc have different diameters. I concern all of those and I align holes in line......that requires some sense of art and practicality at tying bench. Then painting for best results will take several days for one, really. All of these are learned after lots of trials and errors.

I never mean to challenge you but if you do at least one yourself, you will understand it's not just "drilling holes". Let me give you a serious advise here. DO NOT suck smell and dust while drilling antlers!! That may cause cancer in your lungs if you do certain amounts!! Then you have to paint and dry with chemical smells....... I have a little shed to work but during winter months, I can't leave my products there over night in the middle of painting. That's because I concern there would be some frost or moisture could be around that could be problems on paints and that would delay my jobs for next day. I have to calculate timing to bring them inside so they don't suffocate me while sleeping.

Over all, I am really happy to hear lots of readers responded "good idea" (regardless of sales). It's like showing his/her own brandnew fly patterns. I have my own blog, fly sales catalog, and YouTube channel, so I might not spend too much time to post my patterns here. But even one or two readers would actually try to work on antlers for his/her own sakes, I will be delighted!! Just let me know your experience and send me pictures of your antler projects!!

I don't know sizes/capacities at each of your tying bench, but the one antler I made for my own just sits well for me without taking spaces. It's indeed the pair that matches on the other side of "THE FORK". I'm not using too big antlers........again for practical purposes..........

There will be more coming over this winter. Some could be with wooden bases and others could be for wall mounting..........

For some of you who are just curious how my antler caddies look like on the bench and for someone who want to make one on their own, this video will give you some visual experiences. Check up my YouTube video.

Thanks for watching! Especially if someone really does it, let me know what you feel and show me yours!