Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
yuba

Lost my best friend.

Hello FTF,

I lost my dog of 12 years and all I have left is some hair. I can tie your basic flies, but am a beginner. I was wondering if there is anybody out there that would do me the honor of tying me a fly with his remains to keep forever? It would be a most teasured piece of history for myself and my kids.

Thanks for your time,

yuba

HI Yuba,

I really feel for you. We lost our 15 year old Lab mix George the day before Thanksgiving, so I know what you are going through.

I would offer to help, but based on the style of flys I tie I don't think I could do him justice. I saved some of George's hair to do exactly what your thinking, but decided that the best thing to do would be to incorporate a few strands into the signature design on the next fly rod I build for myself. That way I will rember him when I'm on the stream.

I'm sure you will get a lot of offers of help, but feel free to send me a PM if you need anything.

Mike.

Thank you very much for the support Mike!

I appreciate the feedback and your time.

Chris

He was a brindle and white pit bull. The hairs are pretty short, anywhere from a 1/3 to 3/4 of an inch. I am not picky about what type of fly considering I would never use it... Just something to hang onto and remember him by. His short hair makes it tough. If you think you could tie a streamer I would be impressed and very greatful. Thanks for the response!!

Chris

I have tied a few flies with hair from my beagle. They are easy to incorporate in a fly. Most dog hair will give you a spiky dubbing so You would look for a pattern that would look good with a "buggy look". Here's a couple recent ties with H.O.T.D.

post-35746-0-11414000-1358132684_thumb.jpg

post-35746-0-73912100-1358132788_thumb.jpg

post-35746-0-74724700-1358132789_thumb.jpg

post-35746-0-65121000-1358132790_thumb.jpg

post-35746-0-20806100-1358132913_thumb.jpg

Shoebop,

Those are some great looking flies. It's gonna take some practice! Thank you!

Chris