Fly Tying
BassMouth87

Scud Patterns

Hello ladies and gentleman,

A while back I started a post about crayfish patterns and the path that I took trying to learn how to tie them. The thread was a great success and is now jam packed full of ideas and patterns as well as the insight of many different people as to why certain things work, what does not etc. I figured that a thread in regards to scuds may be an interesting idea. The first trout I ever caught last year on the fly was caught on a commercially tied size 18 grey scud pictured below:

PICT0127.JPG

This started my love affair with the scud pattern and left me in search of easy to tie and effective patterns.

The first pattern that I stocked my boxes with was a "Fresh Water Shrimp" pattern that I found on youtube. I cannot find the video now for the life of me, but it was a personal pattern of a guide. This pattern was deadly effective the few times I have fished it. While people around me fished for hours without luck I was pulling in one after another fishing this pattern in sizes 12-18 on a 12" leader with 6X tippet. I changed a few things from the original pattern. The original pattern called for using the tag end of the thread as antennae, a dubbed body, and swiss straw over top. I found while this pattern was deadly the swiss straw by itself was weak and the fly was tore up after a single fish. This caused me to coat the back and tail with some UV resin, and change out the thread antennae for some grey or appropriately colored saddle hackle.

Freshwater Shrimp (UV Back Variant)

post-45233-0-21029000-1358124557_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-07996600-1358124571_thumb.jpg

Hook: Size 12 White River Scud

Thread: 70 denier UTC Tan

Antennae: Grey saddle hackle

Eyes: Mono eyes

Body: Grey SowBug dubbing

ShellBack:Swiss Straw coated in UV resin

Tying Instructions:

1. Place hook into vice and run your thread back slightly into the bend. Tye in some grey saddle hackle fibers so they point downwards.

2. Just behind the saddle hackle tie in your mono eyes.

3. Run your thread back to the eye of the hook and tie in a strip of swiss straw about the width of the hook gape. Tie it back to just above the mono eyes.

4. Dub your thread and create a body that tapers in the front and back so the widest section is in the middle of the hook.

5. Wrap your thread back through the dubbed body to just behind the mono eyes and pull the swiss straw forward. Use the thread to create segments in the body and swiss straw.

6. Finish your last wrap before the eye of the hook and whip finish.

7. Coat the back of the swiss straw with UV resin and cure.

Mono Eye Scud (Switch10's pattern)

I saw the idea for this pattern from switch10's blog where he showed how to burn mono fishing line to create eyes for scuds and other flies. Nothing to fancy but it works great.

post-45233-0-64265300-1358125570_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-26016700-1358125546_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-96540400-1358125557_thumb.jpg

I encourage everyone to post pictures, patterns and SBS's for any scud patterns that they use on a regular basis. I am hoping this thread takes the same direction as the crayfish thread and we can have lots of great ideas and patterns to check out and tie.

Cheers!

Glad those mono eyes worked for you bassmouth! They give a slightly more realistic look to the fly, whether or not the fish actually care is still up in the air for me... The only scud pattern that I tie is my plastic bag scud. I have had luck with it in a variety of colors.

I posted the SBS on here a while back. Here is the link for anyone who missed it: http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=69456

Last year I was out at our family cottage and noticed the smallies were on their beds. I tied up 3 scuds with just tan thread, tan dubbing, and some copper wire. I didn't have a fish pass on it all day. Some of the most fun I've had with my 4 at rod!

I have caught several smallies on other flies and while removing the hook have them regurgitate a belly full of scuds. I have yet to catch a small mouth on a scud as of yet though, figure right time right place.

Glad those mono eyes worked for you bassmouth! They give a slightly more realistic look to the fly, whether or not the fish actually care is still up in the air for me... The only scud pattern that I tie is my plastic bag scud. I have had luck with it in a variety of colors.

I posted the SBS on here a while back. Here is the link for anyone who missed it: http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=69456

The mono eye look may be more for the fisherman then the fish...but regardless they are fun to use, fun to tie with and I think make the fly look more visually appealing at least to us humans.

I have tied a few similar patterns to your plastic bag scud and had great luck in the past, I have no more in my box so that must be the sign to start tying only scud patterns for the next few days.

I like that shrimp, but it's way fancier than I normally do - and bigger. Clearly it works, so I'll probably give it a go. My go-to scud is pretty simple:

Small curved hook (Dai-Riki 135 is cheap and effective) #16 and smaller

A little weight if you want it

Mallard flank fibers on both ends

Tan, brown, or olive ostrich herl legs

Dark antron dubbing mixed with dark ice dub - or lighter - choose the colors to match your stream

Weight it if you're going to weight it. Tie in the mallard flank over the hook eye. Tie in the same amount over the bend. Tie in the ostrich herl. Dub the body then palmer the ostrich up to the eye. Tie off. Wet your fingers, smooth the materials down toward the underside of the hook and remove from the vise. While your fingers are still wet (and protecting most of the fly) singe the top of the fly with a lighter. This removes the herl from the top of the fly and slightly melts the ice dub, giving you a sort of shell back with almost no effort. I'll try to get a picture this evening...

I normally tie them a bit smaller but I like to stock my box with a wide array of sizes and colors for different situations.

I am very interested to see some pictures of the pattern you have described, sounds like a good one I may have to give a a try.

Whoa i really love that first one, very glass shrimpy! Would even throw that around in the salt for little bread and butter species.

They look even better with some cooper rib underneath the UV resin. I showed these to the guys at the fly shop and they loved them.

Here is an interesting pattern I came across today in the database...will have to add it to the long list of flies I want to try.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern4337.html

They look even better with some cooper rib underneath the UV resin. I showed these to the guys at the fly shop and they loved them.

Here is an interesting pattern I came across today in the database...will have to add it to the long list of flies I want to try.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern4337.htmlhttp://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern4337.html

Hey Bass

I don't get anything.

Stumbled across this pattern today and had to tie up a bunch. I made a few adjustments as far as tying in the dubbing and adding a U.V, cannot wait to fish them.

Rainy's Bead Back Scud:

post-45233-0-13712300-1361317826_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-18483400-1361317841_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-23272600-1361317856_thumb.jpg

post-45233-0-69603100-1361317870_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-65642500-1361317885_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-56784900-1361317901_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bass, I see them now. Great job on all your scuds. No wonder you were catching and no one else. Just awesome flies. I'm gonna try some flashier ones like yours. Most of mine are more drab, but I think your patterns are better.

Thanks for posting, ideas and encouragement.

Here is the video that I watched for the pattern:

I changed a few things as I said. For one instead of catching the dubbing in as she does I simply dub between the beads with a long fibered dubbing and brush it out after the fly is finished being tied. I also finish the fly behind the last bead and whip finish, and then add a coat of UV resin on the scuds back.

I purchased 28 packs of assorted size and colored killer caddis beads off e-bay for $30 so I had lots of colors to play with, we will see which work better then the others come the season opener.

I'm kind of like the Henry Ford of scuds. I make one scud: Orange, size 14, weighted, mallard tail, clear/pearlescent shell back, and copper rib. I use it a lot for dredging deep holes. It is also sort of a "throw away" fly for casting to root wads and sweepers where you know you have a good chance of losing your fly.