Fly Tying
Sur3-Shot

Fishing tomorow

ik but 6 trips in a row no nibbles grrrrr

and on top of that im more pissed cuz my freaking dog at my bucktails

its just like that sometimes. I went a whole year thinking one stretch of water was sterile, no fish, no bites, no other anglers seen or heard and then last year took fish each trip and saw fish or had bites. It was just a case of persisting.

Are other people fishing where you go? if they are and they catch quietly sit and watch them for 10 mins or so, look at how long they allow the flies to sink before retrieving, what type of retrieve? Are they using size 24 midges where you are using #1/0 streamers.

and then if you are polite and they are like most of us, they will be happy to chat to you about there leader set up, etc and give you some pointers.

I have never seen anyone else fly fish around me ever. And i have fished in 4 states now GA,WV,PA,AZ never see any fly fishermen at rivers just on lakes for bluegill which i catch alot in the summer

In my experience on rivers, for all species of fish, you need to look for areas where the flow cuts under the bank, fish down there. Areas where fast water meets slow, called the crease, fish along there. In real hot weather fish will be near weirs and water inlets where oxygen is higher. Keep on the move on rivers and it will come good eventually.

the river i mainly fish starts as a waterfall great for trout all year but im on vacation my home is to snowy to fish so im in the desert i guess all the fish out here are different

Keep at it. Try with a garden worm just to prove to yourself there are some fish then go at it with flies.

Actually, the fish AREN'T different ... we are. You are expecting them to hold in areas like "back home" but the conditions are different ... the water temps and sunlight penetration are different. The fish are still responding to the same stimuli ... food and comfort.

Piker's suggestions work anywhere, provided there are fish there ... and that is NOT guaranteed. Most times, though, it's just a matter of presentation. This time of year, when the water is colder, most fish eat small and eat less. They don't chase much, rather eating only when food comes close. Cold fish don't need much energy, don't expend much energy and can't move to a more comfortable place. If you can find a sunny, warmed area, fish it thoroughly ... you might find your first hit there.

Most of all, slow down and put the fly everywhere ... you might have to hit the fish on the nose for it to inhale the fly.