Fly Tying
riffleriversteelheadslayer

Michigan Tie In?

Im new to the forum and just a beginner on the vise, but I would love to join if you'll have me. Would be a great experience and nice to make some new fishing buddies.

My family is from Bay City/ Kawkawlin originally, we duck hunt the bay between Standish and Au Gres in the fall alot.

Also have a cabin where the big creek meets the north branch of the Au Sable, so I'm sort of in your area often.

You can count me in for something like that. I've been fishing the Rifle every year on the opener...this year will be our 11th year. I live in Midland, so I'm not too far from you and know that area pretty well.

i've not had great success on opening weekend. as a tradition my grandfather and i almost always fish the south branch of the ausable and dont traditionally do very well. you guys have any tips on opening day tactics here in michigan?

A group of 5 or 6 of us have been spending the opener in the Rifle River Rec. Area. I'm the only one with the long stick out of the group, the rest are drowning worms or fresh steelhead spawn if available. I've only been fly fishing about a year, and before that it was in-line spinners. We don't catch a bunch, but enough to make you want to go back. This will be the first year I'll try to solely use flies, but I'll still have the 'ole spinning rig on standby. We've been noticing quite a spike in fisherman over the last 3 or 4 years, so we've been staying until the Tuesday or Wednesday after the opener so we can fish in peace after the weekend warriors have left. The 2 or 3 of us that are actually there to fish know that the opener is probably one of the worst times to catch fish - high, fast, muddy water & combat fishing doesn't seem to work too well. The rest of the guys are more into the tradition of spending the weekend away and having some beers.

Riff - if you've got any tips on flies for the opener, I'd love to hear from a Rifle River veteran. I think I'm going to try the dry-dropper setup. I don't know the first thing about nymphing, so I'm planning on getting some practice in that weekend.

well for the Rifle opener I usually tie an EHC with a foam body so it floats really high with a copper John dropper in chartruese or red then if I see tiny BWOs coming off the water I switch to them with a midge dropper

very sound advise. i think i've been using flys that are too big. I learned to flyfish from my grandpa who is an old timer and either a. never learned how to REALLY fly fish. or b. he forgot. last year we went guided for the first time and that was the very first time i'd ever heard of a mend. and he'd been teaching me how to fly for 4 years! anyway, one of the things i'm thinking we've been doing wrong is using flys that are too big. for example. my grandfathers two favorite flys are... the royal coachman streamer... and the size 14 BWO. to him there really is no other size BWO that could possibly catch a fish. haha. i think i'll switch this year to an 18-20 bwo. haha

thanks for the tips riff - I'll be sure to tie up a handful of each and give it a shot.

Now, without further hijacking this thread - I think if you're serious about having a tie-in we'd be able to get a good number of people from here to show up and have a good time. As long as the date is open on my calendar, you can bet I'll be there.