Fly Tying
eastern fly

2013 Spey swap

Well, I did it. The materials came thru today for the speys. I sat down and tied one that I messed up on pretty good, then did another that actually came out fairly good. I kept at it and kind of got the hang of some of the tricks. I personally think some of the materials I got were not the best to work with and should have subbed some of my own stuff but was trying to use the "right stuff". I also had a fast learning session with doing the split thread dubbing loop. I was going to make a tool and do the the normal loop deal but having seen a few top tyers use the split thread technique I gave it a try and after a few time consuming trial runs I started to get the hang of it and I sure like to make the dubbing rope for the body.

The fly I tied is called the Swing Shift and there are pics and tutorials for several variations on the net. I used what is supposed to the be the original and hope someone will acutally catch a fish on it. It's not a thing of beauty but seems to have enough of the qualities to be worth swinging a time or two.

Thats a great fly. It will be nice to see it. I also want to let everyone know I moved that might have my old address so please dont ues it. I will give everyone my new one.

Kevin

Ready for an address and need to verify something. We need 9 flies for swap? 10 tyers and 9 flies, one for everyone but yourself?

Nick

Well, I did it. The materials came thru today for the speys. I sat down and tied one that I messed up on pretty good, then did another that actually came out fairly good. I kept at it and kind of got the hang of some of the tricks. I personally think some of the materials I got were not the best to work with and should have subbed some of my own stuff but was trying to use the "right stuff". I also had a fast learning session with doing the split thread dubbing loop. I was going to make a tool and do the the normal loop deal but having seen a few top tyers use the split thread technique I gave it a try and after a few time consuming trial runs I started to get the hang of it and I sure like to make the dubbing rope for the body.

The fly I tied is called the Swing Shift and there are pics and tutorials for several variations on the net. I used what is supposed to the be the original and hope someone will acutally catch a fish on it. It's not a thing of beauty but seems to have enough of the qualities to be worth swinging a time or two.

Don't be afraid to cut them off the hook after tying them when learning. That way, you only use one hook as you learn.

Brian

I have been playing around with a few spey style patterns after doing more research only to realize I am in way over my head. I did not fully understand what a spey style fly was before joining, I thought I did boy was I wrong lol. I have found a simpler pattern that while it has `Spey` in the name is not a traditional pattern. The pattern in question is the Spawning Purple Spey. I was planning on tying this pattern up for the swap but I wanted to run it by everyone here before doing so, I do not want anyone to feel that I have `cheated`or picked something that was not in the spirit of the swap.

If anyone knows of any simpler patterns for those getting their feet wet I may give them a try instead.

It is the shewey pattern, found it while reading his book steelhead flies. He said he labeled it as a sort fly because the original pattern contained heron. If everyone is ok with that fly I will tie them up for the swap, they look like they would be effective.