Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dzura

Wire bite guard problems

I'm having problems with tieing wire bite tippet on to the end of my leader I tried using an Albright special but when I tested the connection it failed horribly wat could I do to attach the bite guard with out premature break offs? I was using 30# mono and it broke at probaly 15# of pressure

I had a bit of trouble when first tying up Fluoro Bite or Shock tippets (have not used wire or found the need to yet)...Anyway the first few times i did the albright they would fail way below test when doing up igfa stuff. Make sure all those wraps cinch down nicely and not overlapping, moisten the knot before tightening. After practice with the knot i actually managed to get my 'class tippet' section breaking before any of the albright knots (butt and shock).

If it is still failing i would choose another knot like the GT knot - i know this is a pretty good connection but needs to sit correctly to work. Once again i am not so sure about wire tho...

As jam says, is wire really needed?

If it is, are you joining wire that is greater or less dia than the 30lb line?

I use titanium single strand wire for my pike leaders. They are approx same dia as 20lb mono and i use a shockleader knot which you can find if you google sea fishing shock leader knot.

Many many UK pike anglers sing the praises of 49 strand wire by american-fishing-wire-surflon-micro-supreme-40lb-49-strand-wire. Again, work on the knot not overlapping and use lubrication.

I'm not sure an Allbright is the ideal knot for wire, but at any rate, it should always be locked with a clinch knot to prevent it from coming apart. Most instructions I've seen for Allbrights don't include the lock knot, but it makes a difference. My standard SW setup incorporates two Allbrights, and I've never had one fail.