Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
big_fish

nymphs for smallmouth

I'm new to nymph fishing most of my fly rodding has been with streamers or topwater I'm planning to do some tying this weekend and would like some nymph patterns (any other good smallie patterns would be great) thanks

The one thing i can tell you is observation! unsure.gif Approch this type of fishing as you would trout. smallies that live in a river system feed on the same things as the trout do. All kinds of nymps should work well. I have caught smallies when they were taking tricos on the surface. This was common as there was a hatch every morning and the smallies would pod up and cruse around sipping rafts of tricos. I have this on video as well. On another river i would see swarms of caddis flies, but it was"nt until the second year of fishing i decided to try a caddis pupa with a caddis wet combo. (WOW) they liked it. That same evening fish started to rise, previously i thought these were sheephead not smallies. I thought what the hey and put on an Elk Hair caddis. (BINGO). I hope this gets you thinking and observing, i belive this is the key, at least for me. good luck! wink.gif

I have to agree my girlfriend caught a decent smallie this past summer on something (cant remember what) that came outta my boxes of dries and nymphs that I use for trout.

Stonefly nymphs should catch you a few bass. Although not nymphs, anything that looks like a Bee, Wasp, Hornet or Crayfish should do the trick.

Its hard to beat Wooly Buggars in Black, Brown and Olive. Some with touches of Red, Yellow, or Chartruse Marabou or Krystal Flash should also be on hand. Rubber legs don't hurt either.

post-2-1105893807.jpg