Fly Tying
KOKOEK9

materials contamination

Pat feathers dry on a paper towel, then shake them out while holding by the base. Stroke them back into shape as they dry out, and they will return to shape. While on the subject of feathers, remember that a LOT of feathers are not legal to have.

Possession of song bird feathers, and all birds of prey (hawks eagles, owls,) is NOT permitted in the US. You can't have these feathers in your possession, no matter where they came from. In general, don't collect feathers from birds that don't have legal hunting seasons, or are domestically raised. Some state have different rules, so check the laws were your from.

Hi, I read in a taxidermy book that skins of small animals and birds can be soaked over night in a borax solution and that will keep away bugs has any body tried that

When I'm preserving a fresh skin, a borax soak is part of the routine.

That's the stuff, pure borax. Some folks still use it as a laundry additive, so it's still fairly cheap, and readily available.

A short burst in the microwave will kill anything on it. Just do it when the wife's not home ;)

Jaime

I put a white gull feather in for a few seconds and it left a scorch mark, probably could have used it but was just experimenting any way