Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bob LeMay

Everglades report, 23 May

This time of year most guides are going day after day and that's been my routine. Here's a few pics from the last two weeks or so to give an idea of what we've been up to...

Sabrinasbigredfish_zpsa4cac9ce.jpg

This big redfish was Sabrina Sparacino's second redfish ever and it came at the end of a really bad weather afternoon down near Lostman's River out of Everglades City. Despite the blood it was released and swam away strongly....

Kernflytarpon_zps083ad073.jpg

Kernssnookonfly_zpsea45a333.jpg

Back over on the Flamingo side we found small tarpon every morning for catch and release (as well as some very big fish up inside rivers that just took us to school..). Some nice sized snook were beginning to show as well -this one was carefully released after eating a small maribou fly... The angler is John Kern from Utah, who makes time every spring for a few days in the 'Glades with friends and fish....

BeatonHeathernicered_zps6795207b.jpg

BeatonMarcossnookinOysterBay_zps922cffc6

Local anglers Marcos and Heather Beaton made a day of it out of Flamingo... While we were fishing redfish we also encountered a few sawfish. Heather got one about six feet long and Marcos released on in the seven foot size range. That fish gave us a real tussle at the boat and managed to punch a tooth right through my glove into my hand.... then swam away as though it never happened at all. We're finding both reds and saws up in really shallow shorelines at low tide along the coast of the 'Glades most days now....

I'll be back on the water tomorrow for a five day run that will start in Everglades City then move over to Flamingo. Full tilt boogie best describes the rest of this month..... Along with the pictures above you can add gag grouper, goliath grouper, speckled trout, mangrove snapper, and sharks of every size to our daily fare now. It's actually going to get better as we move into summer if you can believe it....

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

Great stuff! So the fishing generally is just starting to heat up with the weather there? Man i'd be so happy catching fish like that all day, dry land sucks.