Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fly123

Streamers for big sea trout

This could be a two edged sword. Are streamers good patterns for sea trout? might be a good question.

In my experience, salt water fishing for sea trout, the larger 2 and 3inch flies work great early season and late. As may, June and July come my flies drop to #10, #12 #14. Patterns like the Frede and Brenda do well. Goats toe is awesome. Traditional teal blue and silver etc work.

In the early season I have found big is best. I used some big intruders and Wooly buggers. I was going to try some Galloup flies but didn't get round to it so will try again back end of year.

For non sea run browns I have yet to try some serious streamers.

Well my fishing is in salt water before they head up river and I find if you google Frede. One Worm, Brenda, copper shrimp, pink pig, goat toe, Alexandra, Peter Ross, teal blue silver, hairy Mary, sand eel, all good starts. Surface lures like jambo, muddlers etc work well.

Flies that give the illusion of bulk work well in UK. Check out greys needle tubes for an idea.

Meant to add, you need to find the trout if its the sea you're fishing. Might go yards and yards of no fish then catch a pod of them. In the river its a bit easier. Here in the river a #12 or #14 wet fly with a bit of silver in can't go wrong. Just watch out for a salmon taking it.