Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tomster10

Help with stuck spool

I have a Hardy Viscount 130, its a small click and paw reel. I was fishing it the other day when without me doing anything the drag seemed to go to its tightest setting. I tried to take the spool off but it is stuck on. I removed the cap in the center, and it is still suck. No matter how I adjust the drag it feels like its tightest setting. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks

since it is a click and pawl and no real drag, sounds like the spool, shaft, or frame is been bent. will have to take off cap and pry the spool off.

Before you do any prying... the first thing I'd do is try to work the spring clip (if it has one...) that allows you to remove the spool. Sometimes a bit of crud or corrosion prevents you from depressing it fully so that the clip clears the groove in the spool shaft. If you're lucky, that's all it will take... if not you're on to step two... There's always the possibility that either the pawl, the spring, or the screw itself that mounts one or the other has come loose and it binding. Take a rubber mallet (the object here is not to scar, mark, or deform anything.... Strike the spool sharply in the dead center, then see if the spool moves better at all. If it's still binding then go to the back of the reel casing and tap it from side to side to see if you can loosen things. Good luck with this, since if nothing else works you will end up trying to pry the spool loose (and probably damage either spool or casing).

Since it's a Hardy you might get some assistance from them -but I believe Hardy was sold recently so how you'll fare I couldn't guess. The Hardy model that I'm most familiar with is the old Marquis (the original Scientific Anglers reels were all Marquis models) and I at one point I had a few of them in larger sizes. If I remember correctly the mounting points for pawls on those reels were simple rivets - not screws, and each reel had two of them.. Good luck, hope this helps

'

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

I found a pic of the reel online and some info. As I understand it, the reel is a cast metal cage style reel. I would not be banging or prying on it since it is cast, although the spool may be machined. You say you have removed the cap, so I'm assuming you have deactivated the mechanism that engages the spool to the spindle. Since the spool turns, I would strip off line, so I can get my fingers against the spool and try to get the spool out by twisting the spool as I push it out of the reel cage. A little lube down the spindle where you removed the cap might help. You don't say if the reel still clicks as you turn it. If it clicks and sounds normal, I would doubt the pawl mechanism is the problem although something could have gotten jammed or broken in the drag adjustment.. I'm most suspect that something is binding the spool and spindle, but you certainly should look for any dents in the cage that could affect things as has been suggested. Anyway, your going to have to get that spool out to get at the problem.

If you think there is a chance that corrosion has set in I would remove the line and backing if possible and then give the contact points a good soaking of 'Kroil' once a day for a few days. I did this on a 1951 Ford truck front axle assembly that had been sitting exposed to the elements for many years and It all came apart with a wrench and no cutting. It is great stuff and worth every cent.

I have a Scientific Anglers concept 2 fly reel. The spool feels like the drag in all the way on, but I have double checked it and it is not. The center release catch in the spool moves freely and is absolutely fully depressed, but the spool will not release for removal. Any suggestions other than a hammer and a crowbar?