Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fletchfishes

Fishing Shows

Anyone have a few recommended shows that are currently on television? I just changed my cable package and have a few new channels. Obviously a preference for fly fishing.

Thanks!

Ok, I know you guys are all out fishing every free chance you get, but doesn't anyone watch TV around here? Getting ready for the winter slow-down...

I finally just got cable again after about 2 years without it and I haven't seen a single show I used to watch( TU on the rise, the new fly fisherman, Walters key chronicles, the one with Curtis fromTFO, and others I can't remember). It's all

Hunting shows and hillbilly reality shows. I have local PA digital cable though but I do have the sports men's channel and the outdoor channel and no ff shows. I haven't really looked into it though and don't watch it much but they used to be on Saturday morning and it was all hunting the last few weeks, only fishing show I saw was Bill Dance and jimmy Houston was on but he was hunting turkeys. Google it.

Just checked it out and there isn't much. Outdoor channels only fishing shows for October are on Saturdays from 1:00-4:00pm est., mostly spin fish shows except Spanish fly. Sportsman channel only lists in fisherman and saltwater expierence for October. Bummer. But look into it maybe you have other channels I don't with something on. Also try the free on demand if you have it.

Yeah i have WFN, i think it must be different in every country but some good fly shows are sport fishing on the fly, the new fly fisher, orvis guide to fly fishing, the game fishers diary, guided with mark melynk, then there are the bad like that flymax thing or whatever the latest extreme thing is, it is all terrible camera angles/ filters and music that makes me want to stab my ear drums with sharp objects, usually just a bunch of poncy fly dudes that think they are kool, yes April you too. I even felt like sending them a letter saying their show induces vomiting and seizures and is completely void of any actual information. The music kills me, it is so bad like extreme dubstep and strobe effect filmic language that reeks of hipsters and wannabees.

Whoa i ranted....sweeet :)

Nice - love the rant Jam. WFN was the right channel it seems.

I spent sometime searching the channel guide and came up with:

-American Fly Guide

-Fishing the Flats

-Fly Nation

-Seasons on the Fly

-The New Fly Fisher

-Spanish Fly

-Orvis Guide to Fly Fishing

-Game Fisher's Diary

-Guided with Mark Melynk

I didn't even search for reality / extreme stuff - doesn't work for me. I figure I'll record an episode or two of each and see what works. Let me know if any of these are to be avoided.

Thanks guys.

Ahhh fly nation, that is the one that is a bit extreme - you could watch it muted (they never say anything anyway except for 'awesome'). WFN sometimes changes so i have seen Oliver Edwards show on it plus occasionally they will show some of the dvd movies like 'bass' or i saw another a few weeks back that was superb and of course i forgot the name, plus some cane rod building/ fishing movie that i enjoyed, plus i saw a few shows on Belize that has a bit of fly fishing but seems a cheap budget type show.

I've been watching Seasons on the Fly lately, and I like it. Not a whole lot of instructional/informative stuff, it's more documentary style, and that's why I like it. It's nice and mellow - something to watch on the DVR on a Sunday morning with a nice cup of coffee.

You managed to sit through an entire Olly show and didn't heave a brick through the TV screen?

(Sorry I couldn't resist Olly is a mate, but he is a Yorkshireman. As a Lancastrian it's my task in life to make fun of all Yorkshireman at every opportunity. All Lancastrians do this, as we have never found any other people worth the effort!)

Seriously though, there are on line fishing channels that you can download from to watch at your convenience. A subscription to one of those may be a better bet.

Cheers,

C.