Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
HammerCreek

Fullback (woven nymph)

Here's an original...taping the weave is always a little tricky, but I think it turned out ok. I've got a halfback version as well, hopefully get that up in a bit.

Fullback (Woven Nymph)
Hook: 8-16 Scud
Body: Olive & Yellow Woven Floss
Rib: Small Gold Wire
Thorax: Hare's Ear Dubbing
Back: Fly Specks Thin Skin
Thread: 8/0 Light Olive

post-49121-0-39248800-1381366508_thumb.jpg

I've been looking at a lot of woven flies on here and other sites. I think I need to try this.

That's a good looking bug.

I've been looking at a lot of woven flies on here and other sites. I think I need to try this.

That's a good looking bug.

The weave isn't too bad once you get the rhythm it took me a bit to get it down. There is a lot of different ways to do it so be sure to check out some of the other videos out there. Floss can be tricky because it slides and you need to have constant pressure on it, I can't stress enough to wet it as you go. One way to practice is with two pieces of ultra wire, it won't move if you let go. Thanks for checking it out

I used to tie a soft hackle version of this and I believe it was called the halfback. Are these related?

I used to tie a soft hackle version of this and I believe it was called the halfback. Are these related?

Not sure, I tie a halfback, but it is essentially the same as above except I only bring the thin skin over the thorax. I think of these as originals, but you know how it is there are a lot of similar looking patterns out there! thanks for checking it out