Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Markbob

Rio Chama, NM below El Vado

I am in Santa Fe visiting my mom and managed to get out to the Chama on Friday. Nice stretch of river but too many bait fishermen near Cooper's (the only access on this stretch). Hiked up stream and managed this guy. Its nice to get out for trout when I get a chance as I live in SE GA.

I had to sit on the large rock on the left and flip my nymph rig up under the "cliff" to start the drift. He nailed it on the tail out as it came out from under the cliff.

post-34851-0-43950000-1384668781_thumb.jpg

Got him on a crane fly nymph pattern. nice fight in the space he had.

post-34851-0-22266500-1384668823_thumb.jpg

Nice looking water to fish. The fish tho looks more like a lake fish than a river fish. Quite pale but I'd be happy with that guy anytime.

Yeah, I am not sure why but this stretch of the river is always muddy from what the LFS guys say. It is a tail water but those, in my experience, are normally pretty clear. The odd thing to me is that they say it clears up a bit in the winter but that the fish don't bite so well when it does clear up. I am more inclined to believe they don't bite so well because its colder than because the water is clear.

It is slow in the dead of winter. I used to go up there to escape Albuquerque but I only fly fished it minimally. It was right when I first started fly fishing. I've seen some people pull some mighty big browns out of there. Now that I'm so crazy about fly fishing, I'm constantly wanting to take a trip back down to NM and try streamer fishing for those big boys