Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
20-250ai

Cheating?

405917159.jpg

Some bass worms / lures?

These take less then 2 minutes to tie and fish well from both floating and sink tip lines down to 15/20 feet depending on line wt. and weight added to sink these.

All those of us that venture to the dark side in spinning/ casting tackle know that worms work. These are fished slow with a drag hop retrieve if weighted, but seem to work best on a slow fall, painfully slow works best.

It's not cheating at all. I like 'em and will give them a shot too. Are the tails silicone "C" tails or tails cut from worms?

Here in Florida I probably wouldn't even have to use a sinking line. If I needed to get down a little, I'd tie up a 6' furled leader with a 2' shot of TI 14 followed by 2' of 20# mono then the fly/worm.

Call it a "Wiggle Flurm."

BF,

Ya, the tails are fly tails by Waspy

These are called Aric's worms, I've been tying then since Culprit worms were all the rage. I must say, with the new chenilles that are available the colors that I now can make are awesome. At one time, when I was attending collage in Mississippi, all I could find was Estaz at a fabric store 45 miles way.

I think if you tied it, its a fly. They look great.

I've seen flies like that but figured they were kind of a gimmick. I mean do they work better than something tied in a more traditional style, like say with bucktail?

I think if you tied it, its a fly. They look great.

I've seen flies like that but figured they were kind of a gimmick. I mean do they work better than something tied in a more traditional style, like say with bucktail?

I believe, if you use a fly rod to get it out to the fish, it's a fly. These worm flies are pretty good looking bass catchers but I do have a question.

What keeps the hook point in the body? Many times, a rubber worm is stretched out to expose the hook, which I am assuming these can't do. Other times, the worm slips off the hook point. If you've got the barb on, I can't see them slipping off. So ...

What keeps the hook point in the body, and will it clear the point to set the hook?

Those are freakin nice! Sure way to get into bigger fish!

A do a version with a conehead and diamond shaped foam tails so it doing a head stand.

DoubleHaul,

For largemouth bass they work better then anything I have ever tried, bar none!

Mikechell,

They are made very stiff by double furling, more like rope then your normal furling. Some chenilles break before you get the tension needed to hold the hook right. The flies are hookless when you first make then and a hook is added to the fly like a plastic worm.

The fish will not hook themselves the these, you need to use a hard hook set.