Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
KCNick

Redington Pursuit broken tip

I recently purchased a Redington Pursuit rod with a broken tip, it's missing about 2 3/8 inches. It's a 4 piece, 4 weight, 8' rod. Am I okay to add a new tip? How much will the performance of the rod be affected?

429126981528fc6a3449a3.jpg

I recently purchased a Redington Pursuit rod with a broken tip, it's missing about 2 3/8 inches.

Did you break this tip or did it come broken, if it came broken then return it and get a fixed one. If you broke it and are trying to fix it i wouldn't bother. I would just glue the tip eye back, a shorter tip by that much wont make much of a difference, and it would be rather hard to fix.

About half of my rods are 2 inches shorter than they were new. I don't know why I keep losing the tip, but the tip eye usually fits right over the "new" end, and will work just fine.

I did knowingly purchase it this way, it was only $43 for the rod and reel. It did not come with the original tip eye, any suggestions as to where to buy a new one?

You will be fine with just putting a new tip on it. Losing 2" from the tip won't affect the action very much. Most likely since it's a 4wt it was probably a size 4 or 4.5 tip top tube size. Do you have a pair of calipers to measure the end of the rod with? If you can get a measurment for me I can send you the proper size tip top because you don't want to order one from a rod building supplier and spend $8 shipping on a $2 tip top. So if you can get a size for me I'll shoot ya one free.

Steve