Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mkozlow

Slick Willy Fly or Chris' Slick Willy Fly

In 2005 or 2006, Orvis offered a fly called a Slick Willy or on some cards, Chris' Slick Willy. I found it to be an absolute snook killer fly. I think it was made with rabbit fur, not zonkers. I am a novice tiyer and would love to reproduce it. It had very small black eyes, was yellow and white and in the water would puff when the trips was stopped. Does anyone have a clue as to what I am tryng to construct?

post-51613-0-94538500-1389917472_thumb.jpg

For those that might want to give their best guess, there's a better image here.

The wing/tail could be craft fur. There is a growing family of long, synthetic fibers available in a variety of textures, translucency and reflective properties, so changing it up a bit is an option. The front does look like wound rabbit on hide, but (again) this could also be an application for synthetic fibers (that won't hold water during casting like rabbit hide).

The certainly looks like the fly I am searching the recipe for. I have found an internet reference for Slick Willy going back to 2005.