Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Markbob

Species confusion

Tiger Trout can only occur one way, a female Brown Trout and a Male Brook Trout. It can not go the other way because a male Brown Trout has sperm that is too big for a Brook Trout's egg.

troutguy,

Could you share your source for this? Not trying to stir the pot, what you're saying makes sense, but I have found sources that claim both and would like to clarify.

Interesting turn of discussion. We had a similar discussion on another, southeastern, FF forum several years ago, which arrived at much the same conclusions. While I've never caught one, it appears that a number of high elevation NC brookie streams do produce the occasional tiger trout. Your best chance of catching one in NC would be to concentrate on smaller streams in the Smoky Mt. National park, where browns were introduced years ago, but which aren't currently stocked, i.e. all natural reproduction.

I think y'all have pretty much agreed, the fish pictured in the first post is a brown.

I painted this soap dish a year or two ago at a place in Jacksonville, FL called "Doing Dishes". You go in, pick a piece of pottery and paint it, they fire it in the kiln and then you pick it up later. I use it on my fly tying bench as a catch all for small stuff like flies I want to scrap and such. At the time I intended it as a brook trout but now that I know about the worm patterns I guess it's a brown trout. Guess I'll have to go back and do another piece in a brookie pattern. I've been wanting to do a bowl for soaking biots and quills in anyhow.

post-34851-0-00345400-1391653402_thumb.jpg

post-34851-0-50925100-1391653420_thumb.jpg

post-34851-0-54490800-1391653443_thumb.jpg

post-34851-0-32911300-1391653468_thumb.jpg

So there was no trout? This entire thread is about a dish? Well OK then. Lets do a poll on which trout we think it looks like.

No, the question and thread was about the fish pictured in the first post. Just saying that now that I know the difference, my dish looks like a brown trout instead of a brookie.