Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cheesesteak

Westfield Fish Passage

Hello,

Has anybody been up to or heard any positive feedback about the fish ladders that were constructed at the 2 dams back in 2012 up in Westfield NY? I am headed up that way in March and was thinking of starting in the upper reaches of the creek and fishing my way down about 8 miles. How far up are the fish getting?

Thanks,

I make it a point to fish in my Kayak out of Barcelona harbor at least a few times a year, in the spring for bass and in the fall for steelhead and bass. If the weather is good in the fall I always go to the beach at the mouth of the creek, and fish up to the Rt 5 bridge or a little further... I have not heard anyone talking about the fish further up. There is someone who I have seen post on FAOL about catching steel quite a ways up the creek into the spring, so some fish are making it. I don't know how good the run was this year, I fished there Columbus day week and the lake temp was still 65. I caught a few steelhead off the mouth of the creek and I saw several caught in the creek, but it was an early push. It iced over early though. There is a tackle shop in Westfield on the main road before you get to Rt 5, and the gas station at the intersection in Barcelona. Should be able to find their numbers and call them for the local info.