Fly Tying
scorman1

interesting tools

actually, upon looking, the number is 40:

Individual Non-Commercial Member Posts: There is a Forty (40) general board post minimum in place before qualifying to enter items into the Trading Floor. All new members are asked to refrain from postings until that level of participations is satisfied. All for sale posts are invisible until a moderator approves it and usually takes between 24-72hrs to show up on the site.

BTW, looking thru the rules, I don't see anything w/r to polar bear fur.

That said, I would want to do such a transaction privately through email communication, not in public.

I have the winging pliers shown in the first photo also, along with the same instruction sheet. I also have the Herter whip finisher shown in scorman's photo. Got them in a box of stuff I bought at a public sale in the late 1960's. The box also had a bunch of other Herters flytying materials along with their vise. Actually, that was what got me into flytying.

I have a 1976 Herter's catalog and the price on the winging pliers was $0.76.

Their old stores were a fascinating place to visit. I was in the one in Waseca,MN in the late 60's. It had about everything you could want in the way of fishing and hunting equipment but what really caught your eye was the hundreds of mounted fish and animals all over the place. It's my understanding that many of those old mounts are now in the various Bass Pro and Cabela stores around the country.

I live in Missouri and visit the home Bass Pro store in Springfield, MO frequently. If any of you are ever in the area be sure and stop in and check it out. There is a museum on the second floor that is a must see. The store in Springfield is much larger than any of their other stores around the country.

Dave

thanks to all who contributed to this thread

hopefully some of you will get a chance to use some of dad's collection from 50 years ago

I just recently posted tools and material on eBay

do a search on "vintage Herter's fly tying", then click on "see other items" or click on the photo for album

hopefully this post isn't in any violation of forum rules and I appreciate any comments/feedback

Stew

Great post. But I think its another case of man creating a problem where there isn't one lol. We were born with the greatest tools! Our hands.

This link has the best explanation for using the wing combs that I've seen:

http://lvlimestoner.blogspot.com/2012/12/your-granddads-weird-shit-thompson-wing.html

I have the Herter's set with the cast base. The other Herter's bases I've seen do not look like mine. The one I have looks more like the Thompson except it's double-sided, if you can feature that. Likely so you can prepare two feathers (for right/left wing sets) at the same time as long as you have a double set of combs for various hooks sizes. It's a monsterous thing.

many thanks for posting the instructional picture. I have 2 of them and no idea what they were for until now.

I happen to have a 1965 Herter's catalog and there is a base to the wing maker. It's original cost was $3.95 with 2 combs and additional combs( 4 other sizes) were $.35 each. The Model 31 Winging Pliers were $.53 cents. I, like you, was fortunate enough to have a Dad who got a lot of fly tying stuff from Herter's and kept it. Now I have it even though my Dad is still tying. The '65 catalog is not a reproduction. Thanks for sharing the memories!

bighornbuster,

thanks for the response and would it be possible for you to scan that wing maker page from the '65 Herter's catalog and post it here or send it to me in an email??

Stew

[email protected]