Fly Tying
scorman1

interesting tools

Second post here.

I am in the process of clearing out most of the collection that dad and I used back in the 60's, mostly obtained from Herter's.

Did my DD on google and eBay to find out what is out there and what is currently used for tools and materials.

Came across two tools that I don't see anywhere and was wondering what is currently being used in it's place.

First is a Herter's W31 winging plier, which was sold in 1972 for $0.69 ( we probably paid less in '65).

Second is a set of five "feather combs" used to separate a large feather, such as the quill stripped dyed turkey feather shown in photo.

BTW, don't see these feathers available anywhere either.

post-52489-0-97694600-1395193956_thumb.jpg

post-52489-0-46402400-1395193978_thumb.jpg

BTW, the above photos are a thumbnail created by using file attach...click to get full frame photo.

Can someone please explain how you use the "image" edit tool, since it did not like my link to a Picasaweb album.

Thx

Stew Corman

Interesting tools. Have never seen the like before. One of the reasons you couldn't find an equivalent anywhere is almost no one ties that style of fly any longer ("winged wets flies", for want of a better term, consult Ray Bergman's Trout). First tool looks like an attempt to facilitate tying on the wing properly, which can be difficult, and the second tools were used to get consistent width strips off a feather, such as a turkey quill (pictured, I think), or at least that is my best guess. Fly tying is full of gadgets that are supposed to make a tier's task easier, and end up being determined impractical or unnecessary, and the Sixties were no different than today. This is the other reason I imagine you could not find a contemporary equivalent...they were deemed unnecessary and suffered the same fate as so many other bygone tools. The few tiers I know who still tie these patterns do not use special tools to achieve either of the goals these were meant to fulfill.

Cannot help you with the photo editing, but what you did seems to work just fine. Welcome to the board.

Wow! Those tools look like money. There might not be much of a market for antique fly tying tools, but I'll bet there is for rare ones. Keep all that original packaging, items that come with the tools. Be sure to get someone knowledgeable to assess the value before offering to sell those.

Cool tools, indeed !!!

Thanks for posting, quite enjoyed looking at that winging tool obviously for knife edge wing sets - had an idea it may even ruduce the swearing setting married wings, the comb i do not so much understand as barb counting does the trick. In conjunction you sure could make winged wets in a breeze! Possibly better results than the old death grip pinch...?

Winged wet flies are still very much in use here. You will not find many trout anglers who don't have at least one on their cast on the local lochs. The reason is they work.

The tools you have are interesting, I have seen the winging pliers before, and considered making myself a pair. However, my general feeling towards tools like this is they slow down the process. The combs are interesting. I do something similar by putting the same hook one size smaller in hackle pliers and using that as a gauge for making feather slips.

As Mike said go to some one who knows about old tackle before you part with them. Or, of course, you could use them and tie some really classy flies.

Cheers,

C.

I have a Thompson wing tool like the one in bottom photo, I still use it. and I still use the turkey wing too (great for hoppers) If you decide to sell I would be interested in the top tool. pm me and I'll give you a fair price. I am a collector.

I remember the wing tool in the Herters Cat. ..I don't remember the bottom one though. I sure see the advantage of getting identical wings for wets. Herter's got me started but some of their stuff was junk. I bought a Thompson A and a Pfleuger Medalist knock off and neither was worth a darn. I still have the medalist. I keep it in case I need some parts for my real deals. .......

Very interesting. There have been several attempts, over the years, to make mounting quill slip wings easier, but none of the gadgets ever succeeded. It just takes a bit of practice to learn the proper technique, but once learned, it's quick and easy. Properly trained fingers are much more reliable than any tool.

The comb could be of some help to a production tier, but few of us, who still tie quill slip wings, are much into speed. I use a pair of needle point dividers to ensure that my quill slips are the same width. Same principal. When I was younger, and my eyesight better, I used to count barbs, but I can't do that anymore....

Wow! Those tools look like money. There might not be much of a market for antique fly tying tools, but I'll bet there is for rare ones. Keep all that original packaging, items that come with the tools. Be sure to get someone knowledgeable to assess the value before offering to sell those.

Cool tools, indeed !!!

Yes, I agree with Mikechell.. My guess on the second picture is that it is a feather separator for flies such the matuka, if that helps.

Unless I'm mistaken, the "comb" wing former should have a base that holds the feather.

Fly tying gadgets are usually interesting, even if their application isn't always practical.

Thanks to all the replies so far.

the "comb" wing former should have a base that holds the feather.

AH, you are a smart person ...yes, these combs are similar to the "Thompson wing cutter" but w/o the fixture

So, I searched through the four paper boxes of storage and found a wooden platten that fits the combs.

To be quite honest, I don't remember it at all !

So now I attempted to add a few photos of above to this thread, a Herter's hackle plier and a whip finisher w/orig documentation and cannot figure how to attach a file.

Could be that only the first post has that option?? The "use full editor" option is not present, so you can't see a thumbnail, nor is preview an option.

Still can't figure the "image" edit tool, it doesn't like my "URL" ? , so I have attempted to link to my Picasa web album with a bunch of photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113529890332423159392/Flytying?authuser=0&feat=directlink

If the above link works, I can post more photos of specific items which may become available.

I do NOT understand the protocol used here on this forum to offer items for sale and I do NOT want to create a zoo, if you know what I mean.

Perhaps, experienced posters here can give me a clue?

thanks again,

Stew Corman

[email protected]

thanks for sharing now if happen to see one at one of the antique malls with the wife I will know what it is.

You only have 3 posts. I think you have to have 10 before you can post items for sale.