Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dfinn

General rule for size of barbell eyes?

I'm planning on tying up some Kelly Galloup streamers in the near future and I'm getting all the materials ready. Most of these will be articulated with #4 hooks. My supplier sells barbell eyes in these sizes: 4/25, 9/50, 7/32 and 1/4. I know that the biggest decider of eyes is actually based on how you want it to sink but in a general sense, for fishing trout in moving water, is there a rule for what size eyes to what size hook?

I've yet to come up with a good general rule, but there certainly are other considerations besides sink rates. IMO, the smaller the hook size, the smaller the eyes. Put those 1/4 size eyes on a size 8 hook & they don't look like they fit, plus it will literally sink like a rock. On a size 4, they might be fine, but it would depend on where on the hook. On the top of the shank, as Clouser style, probably not a problem, but on the underside, they might create issues with blocking the hook gape.

Also, the hook makes some difference too. That same size 4 hook & 1/4" size eyes might be fine if the hook is 2X or 3X long, but not so much with a shorter shank.

I hate to admit it, but most of the time I'll choose barbells based on how they look on a particular size hook, unless I have a specific sink rate in mind. It's simply a visual determination. With that said, I also have an assortment of sizes & in lead, brass & tungsten to choose from.