Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

what lies beneath

Went for a walk on the beach near Grand Haven, MI yesterday with the wife and dogs...even though I didn't think there would be much of interest to photograph, I took the camera along since, being a photo-newb, I need to practice shooting a lot. Turned out there was a little color to be seen--all along the beach there were canoes, kayaks and catamarans that had, until just the last couple of weeks, lain for 4-5 months under record-breaking accumulations of snow. I thought it was interesting to see these bright symbols of summer peeking through the last remnants of the snow, as if they were just waking up from a long hibernation.

EDIT: The photo has now been replaced with the original, larger version. :)

post-36073-0-78793700-1396920176_thumb.jpg

I thought it was interesting to see these bright symbols of summer peeking through the last remnants of the snow, as if they were just waking up from a long hibernation.

Sorry to hijack this thread and say something not about the photo.

I got stuck on the line above ... it's April, and there's still snow ??? Once again, I am so glad I don't live up there !!!

I'll just pretend that it's a canoe under drifts of sand ... looks good when I put it in that perspective.

I thought it was interesting to see these bright symbols of summer peeking through the last remnants of the snow, as if they were just waking up from a long hibernation.

Sorry to hijack this thread and say something not about the photo.

I got stuck on the line above ... it's April, and there's still snow ??? Once again, I am so glad I don't live up there !!!

I'll just pretend that it's a canoe under drifts of sand ... looks good when I put it in that perspective.

LOL Believe me, Mike, I feel the pain to which you refer. It has been a BRUTAL winter, even by our standards. Somewhere between 150 and 200 inches of snow where I live, more up in the U.P. (Upper Peninsula). It actually isn't unusual for us to have snow hanging around in early April, though. In fact, there is often still some snow in the woods on our trout season's opening day, which is the last Saturday in April. Of course, the flip side of this coin is that it rarely hits even 90 degrees in summer, and there's none of that stifling humidity that make you pop a sweat by 8:00 a.m. and surreptitiously check the sides of your neck to see if you've started growing gills. :)