Fly Tying
CristyK1

Bare Essentials needed to start tying

I like Skip Morris' book because it teaches the basic techniques you'll use on just about any fly.

As I continue to tie, I have found TWO other books that really help. They both go into selecting materials and just how to use them.

1. Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying.....this book really goes into depth on tying flies and I really like it. I was able to find one in an estate sale for under a dollar when all the other books were thrown in! You can get it on Amazon.com and get a good used copy as well. I do this a bunch when looking for a printed copy of a book. IIRC I saw this book for around $25 or so.

2. The Benchside Introduction to Fly Tying.......I actually splurged on this and bought it the other day. I really like the split pages so that I can look at techniques and "rewind" (for lack of a better term) to have the techniques displayed.

I think you have some great advice here......DONT spend tons of money at all.

When you find some patterns your son wants to tie....ask and I am 100% positive we can all assist and point you towards good videos and offer suggestions!

Mike :)