Fly Tying
Jimboha!

Hoppicator Swap

Sweet! "Sorry I was out sick all week - my arm was in a cast." I like the caption in your picture.

My sister gave me a t-short that says, "Sorry I missed your call, I was on the other line" with a picture of a casting fly fisherman.

Not directly related to Hoppicators, but still entertaining.

Jimboha!

My flies will be in the mail tomorrow or Monday morning.

I received flies from djtrout and eugward (as he said, without toe tags).

Some more super flies

Jimboha!

Update:

I have received 5 sets of flies - we are still on schedule with about 3 weeks left until the deadline. Things are looking good.

However, it turns out that my hand injuries required surgery which I underwent yesterday. The doc says I'll be good as new, and even that I could play the piano after recovery, despite the fact that I couldn't play the piano before... But today my (right) hand is quite sore (and typing is one-figner and tedious/painful) and it's hard to imagine that it will ever be good as new. But I think in a week or two it will be good therapy to tie some flies. I hope my flies won't look like they were tied by a one-handed amateur, but I'll make it up to you all somehow if they do. Fortunately for me, I get a couple extra days because I don't have to mail my flies to the Swapmeister...

In case you're curious, I had trigger finger on both my long finger and thumb of my right hand. I was able to deal with the finger, but the thumb was killing me and the tape/splint I had to wear to keep it from hurting made tying impossible. It was also affecting my casting since my hand would start to go numb when trying to grip the rod without irritating the tendons further. So, for any of you out there who want to avoid such problems - DON'T GROW OLD!

Jimboha!

But today my (right) hand is quite sore (and typing is one-figner and tedious/painful) and it's hard to imagine that it will ever be good as new. But I think in a week or two it will be good therapy to tie some flies.

Update - the hand is doing very good. The first day after surgery was by far the most painful, but it is getting better fast. In fact, I was able to tie a couple #16 elk hair caddis flies the other day, so I think I'll be fine. (Well, the two took 1 hour to tie, so I'll have to work on the speed...)

Jimboha!

So, for any of you out there who want to avoid such problems - DON'T GROW OLD!

Jim,

Personnaly I'd rather continue to grow old, with the problems, than the alternative. Hope your road to recovery is a fast one.

Thanks, Bob. I do agree about the only realistic alternative. I was hoping for a third alternative involving a fountain in Florida somehere...

Hand is coming along. I was able to tie about two dozen #16-#18 caddises of various colors. But when I tried a #6 floam hopper, the thumb was OK but the finger wasn't doing it's job! (Of course the fishing I did yesterday irritated the finger so it's got some swelling and numbness. If I have to choose between the two...) We still have two weeks left so I'm optimistic. At least I know I can tie the hoppers, I just have to hope the quality returns before the deadline.

OK, how about the rest of you? Are things coming along or are there any issues that would cause any delays? Short of tying them for you, anything I can do to help?

Jimboha

I sent mine out. Admittedly they suck, I realized I was doing the wrong tie in point for the hind legs after I had them all done. I kept wondering why the head seemed so crowded, but they'll float and catch fish still. I'm about to move yet again so I have to pack up the bench in the next couple days. At least this seems to be the final move for a while at least, and it's back to Michigan so we're happy about that.

No worries, Nate! If they do suck, and I find it hard to believe of you, at least they will have company with mine! Strangley I just can't get wraps to lin up on the foam - you don't realize how much you need ALL of you fingers (and feeling!) to control all that material. I'm still trying to get them to look good, so on the updside I guess I will have lots of spares!

I _might_ change the pattern at this late date but I'm starting to think that most anything will cause me some grief. Poor timing on the surgery... But they do look good from the top, and I think they'll still call up the big ones, so maybe they're OK.

So you're mvoing back to Michigan? If that's where you caught that hog in your photo, I'd be glad to be moving back there, too!

jimboha